Anyone have a vintage Ross Flanger?

companyman

• Members

hi

i've got a red one. it's a different beast to the flanger hoax. it sounds similar to the original MXR flangers (this one's basically a clone) but it sounds a lot warmer. it has a slight volume drop but i've never minded that. the bypass on it is pretty mediocre haha. it uses the old reticon sad1024 chips in it, which is why it sounds totally different to your generic electric mistress/dunlop things. this does mean that the ross is quite noisy. another thing i love about this is the trimpots inside, which i've tweaked extensively - i have my ross set to a massive sweep that can crash into slapback delay/massive pitch warp territory on higher width settings and it can oscillate at higher feedback settings and get a cool siren sound. the filter matrix on this is very cool as well - wayyy better than the EHX one. not as harsh and metallic. this thing is also quite famous for its leslie sounds - apparently SRV used one just for that but i'm not 100% sure about that - seems like a myth. the speed range is decent, i'd have liked it to go somewhat slower though for the ultimate atmospheric flanger but it'll do on the lowest setting haha.

so in conclusion - $40? mega bargain. they usually go for ~$100. i've seen them cheaper on craigslist and much more expensive on ebay. very nice pedal though.

• Members

hi

i've got a red one. it's a different beast to the flanger hoax. it sounds similar to the original MXR flangers (this one's basically a clone) but it sounds a lot warmer. it has a slight volume drop but i've never minded that. the bypass on it is pretty mediocre haha. it uses the old reticon sad1024 chips in it, which is why it sounds totally different to your generic electric mistress/dunlop things. this does mean that the ross is quite noisy. another thing i love about this is the trimpots inside, which i've tweaked extensively - i have my ross set to a massive sweep that can crash into slapback delay/massive pitch warp territory on higher width settings and it can oscillate at higher feedback settings and get a cool siren sound. the filter matrix on this is very cool as well - wayyy better than the EHX one. not as harsh and metallic. this thing is also quite famous for its leslie sounds - apparently SRV used one just for that but i'm not 100% sure about that - seems like a myth. the speed range is decent, i'd have liked it to go somewhat slower though for the ultimate atmospheric flanger but it'll do on the lowest setting haha.

so in conclusion - $40? mega bargain. they usually go for ~$100. i've seen them cheaper on craigslist and much more expensive on ebay. very nice pedal though.

very informative, thanks, when you say noisy, do you mean hissy when your not playing? Bypass is a tone sucker huh? Man I hate that....decisions.

• Members

very informative, thanks, when you say noisy, do you mean hissy when your not playing? Bypass is a tone sucker huh? Man I hate that....decisions.

yeah it's generic analogue noise - but more than usual since it uses really primitive delay chips.

you could make a bypass loop for it, or even put a new switch in it (it's not a stereo pedal or anything) - i can't really be bothered doing that all though haha.

it's definitely worth it even with these little inconveniences.

Archived