Just got a Kurzweil k250, selling Motif XS6

InsideLookinOut

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'm with Suitandtieguy on this one. I can't believe this thread has evolved into this negative mine is bigger than yours bs. All because someone unfunky has such a limited vocabulary, they must resort to name calling. Opinions are like ********, and every thread has one. I agree to disagree with what's his name:blah:

A couple of points:

Inspiration IS THE MOST IMPORTANT thing - I don't care if a musical saw or kazoo does it for you - go for it! I'm searching for inspiration myself - sometimes it comes in the form of tools, other times it has to do with process flow, a sound, time to myself, etc.

You DID created a thread here - whatever your reason, and you got the entire range of advice. (I do recall posting here one time, expressing my opinion that a Motif ES might be an alternative to an XS because of PLG board support and price - and I was told that anyone who thought such a thing was an idiot...:freak:)

The last thing I'd ask is you refer to the piano sound, build quality, layout, and wooden keys of the 250 - if all four working together float your boat, then the 250 is for you, and forget what anyone else says. If it is primarily the wooden keys - think about a nice controller and the best sound module you can lay your hands on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well the deal on the Kurzweil k250 fell through. The seller could'nt find the power pod. Oh well. I still have my Motif XS, but let my lady take to her room to play around with. I've recently pulled my ASR 10 out of the corner and back front and center in my set up. The stock grand piano sound is so crisp and realistic sounding! I don't think I remember it sounding so nice, but after the last few years of playing the muffled sounding Motif pianos I notice it.:)
I can't believe the negative turn this thread took. I suppose I don't have to post every time I change gear, but it's interesting to get other peoples feedback. So I'm back to square one for now. Stay tuned for when I post about how I'm selling the Motif for the Fantom G. Just kidding:thu:

• Members

Thank goodness you didn't get the K250, it would've been simply too much for the hearts of the HC KSS forum elite to take! What unspeakable horror could you have unleashed with a 10 bit piano sample? While you were happy with your purchase because it suited your needs, a Lovecraftian horror would rise from the depths to devour your soul, replacing you with a mindless replicant armed with a HC KSS approved synth.

• Members

I still think the concept is sound enough, that is, swapping out a Motif XS for a digital piano. I didn't agree with a 12-note polyphony instrument in this day and age but if the K250 had good controller capabilities then I wouldn't have had any objection to it. Most people don't realize that Motifs and all Yamaha digital instruments have pathetic signal-to-noise ratios and are not serious recording instruments.

In today's home environments I believe that VST's are the only way to go, especially when it comes to a piano sound. For Yamaha to brag on the megabyte memory of it's top workstations versus the gigabyte memory of even the cheaper piano libraries is ridiculous. Even my CP300, which has one of the best piano sounds of any Yamaha digital instrument, can't compare to the sound of my $99 Reason Pianos' Steinway... and the SNR of the CP300 renders it nearly useless in the studio anyway (even with it's low impedence outputs). But the CP300 is a terrific controller and practice instrument, which is why I dumped my Motif ES8 to get it. I use my CP300 nearly every day whereas my former Motif ES8 was frustrating to use even as a glorified controller, which was essentially what I wound up using it for before I sold it.

I think this thread prompted some good discussion about what do we buy instruments for in the first place - to force another learning curve onto ourselves with - to brag to our freinds about - or to stimulate creative flow?

• Members

The person who said that inspiration was what it was all about nailed it. Personally, I mostly don't care if some blind/deaf/dead test of 2 instruments played by someone else choosing the tweaks that they like makes one sound 'better' than the other - what I care about it what the experience is like to ME to play it and tweak it. Let me also comment about the notion that one should just use Cubase over hardware sequencers....one could prove that a sequencer like Cubase can do everything that a hardware sequencer can do by the fact that you can simply record the output of the hardware sequencer into Cubase and play it back. But the question really is, how long would it take you to set up a patch in Cubase (if you could at all) that evolved and modified itself in the same ways that a really cool hardware sequencer can, say, an Octopus, or a p3. It's a totally different experience, and from my limited experience with an mpc, I'll allow for that inspiring someone in a different way than Cubase. I"ll also put in a word for Cubase - after pretty much giving up with trying to easily route multiple incoming and outgoing midi streams through Logic's arrange window (why torture myself?), and dealing with the limitation of 2 midi clock outs, I've tried Cubase 4.1.2 again (mac version) and it's pretty much been a revelation. It's totally what works for you.

Archived