Just got a Kurzweil k250, selling Motif XS6

InsideLookinOut

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored}ty hardware sequencers

are you trying to claim that hardware sequencers are {censored} or just the ones he is talking about?

also, if a K250 is good enough for paul shaffer along with an OB8, piano, and organ for like 15 years it's probably not a bad keyboard. i know i'd rather have one than a Motif, but i can't stand any of the big 3's workstations lately.

• Members

No I got the original K250 88 wooden keys. Came out 1984. On a tour through Stevie Wonder's studio in 1982,Ray Kurzweil learned of Wonder's frustrations with the current technical limitations that prevented the bridging of electronic music composition with the sounds of acoustic instruments.Stevie acted as a music advisor to Kurzweil. Introduced commercially in 1984, the K250 is the first electronic musical instrument to emulate, successfully, the complex sound response of a grand piano and virtually all other orchestral instruments.

That'd be why every time I've seen Stevie on TV in recent years he's been playing a Motif 8 ;)

• Members

Personally I love the sounds of the K250. Like the man said, it's good enough for Paul Shaffer. Art of Noise used one for years and the sounds hold up there too.

I could'nt afford a K250 nor did I have room for one, but I got the same sounds for cheap on my K1000 board and K1200 expander. I also got a cheap K2000 since it's also very nice.

Newer isn't always better, although something newer may be more capable.

Within the argument of this thread, the MiniMoog would be considered old and crappy, and I don't think that's the case.

• Members

I sympathize with dumping a Motif XS for a K250... I did something similar when I dumped my Motif ES for a Yamaha CP300. That was about a year ago and I have no regrets - I still love my CP300 and yes I feel it's more inspiring as a songwriting tool over the frustrating Motif.

But I can't imagine a K250 being in the same category as today's digital pianos... didn't the K250 have 12 note polyphony and weigh 95lbs? I'm not quite that sentimental.

• Members

whoever says they like K250 better than Motif XS (ES or whatever) are pretty much the same kind of people who say Chevette is better drive than R8

it tells a lot what a driver you are (and a few other things which i don't wanna mention here)

• Members

whoever says they like K250 better than Motif XS (ES or whatever) are pretty much the same kind of people who say Chevette is better drive than R8

:thu:

16 years was a k250 my masterkeyboard. the best is the keyboard and not the sounds.

K250%2001.jpg

• Members

My opera orchestra still uses a K250 in the pit. I went to a demonstration of it when it came out in 1984 and was floored, it was also 10 grand.
:eek:

Dumping an XS for one seems a little crazy, but to each his own.

They purchased that K250 when Stew Copeland premiered his opera in Cleveland in the late 80's. I worked on it a few times. Do they still use it?

• Members

They purchased that K250 when Stew Copeland premiered his opera in Cleveland in the late 80's. I worked on it a few times. Do they still use it?

Thats the one. Yup, its still there and they still use it. Obviously, legit opera doesnt use a whole lot of synth, but they use the K250 for pipe organ since the theatre doesnt have one. They also use it for certain Carillon bells, and for sounds that are supposed to come from backstage since it is piped through the house.

Whats funny is how much room it takes up!:lol: That thing is huge, and the pit is very crowded. On a big production we have 60 people down there, and that keyboard takes as much room as 5 violin players.

For the ballet, they used to use this old Yamaha thing for the Nutcracker, the part with the female voices. It sounded stupendously awful, it was one of those cheezy AWM samples from 20 years ago. This year they used an Emu (PK6?) and it sounded much better.

• Members

ahem... it sounds like {censored} in case you didn't notice...

some people think that _all_ ROMplers sound like {censored}, so that's an opinion. for example: i can't tell the difference between a TRITON and an M1 except for the effects. they both have the same samples in them, and Korg's constant repackaging of the same recordings is probably standard practice in the industry.

here's an observation:

the K250 was built back when gear was _real_. those are broadcast-quality tact switches which have been in production forever (and will continue to be in production forever), and i'll bet you could drop a K250 off the back of a truck and it would still work. i'll bet the keyboard feels really good as well.

modern ROMplers are all built with cheap tact switches, plastic, and thin metal.

if i'm wrong about certain assumptions about the K250 design, please let me know. but this Lewey guy seems to be casing pretty unfairly here, and saying that someone who prefers a K250 to a Motif is a bad musician is completely rude and out of line.

• Members

some people think that _all_ ROMplers sound like {censored}, so that's an opinion. for example: i can't tell the difference between a TRITON and an M1 except for the effects. they both have the same samples in them, and Korg's constant repackaging of the same recordings is probably standard practice in the industry.

wash your ears... seriously... if it doesn't help, go to an ear doctor, they should figure out what's wrong with you...

the K250 was built back when gear was _real_. those are broadcast-quality tact switches which have been in production forever (and will continue to be in production forever), and i'll bet you could drop a K250 off the back of a truck and it would still work. i'll bet the keyboard feels really good as well.

who cares

modern ROMplers are all built with cheap tact switches, plastic, and thin metal.

again who cares... i don't throw my keyboards off trucks... i make music with them instead... have you ever thought of writing songs with your keyboard instead of driving it around in your truck?

if i'm wrong about certain assumptions about the K250 design, please let me know. but this Lewey guy seems to be casing pretty unfairly here, and saying that someone who prefers a K250 to a Motif is a bad musician is completely rude and out of line.

this lewey guy thinks that whomever likes K250 better than Motif is not just a bad musician, but also a complete retard... but lewey is polite and doesn't voice his thoughts so as not to offend anyone

• Members

Dood. That's reaching.

Regardless, plastic is often vastly superior to metal for specific applications. For example, do you want metal keys on your keyboard? Come on. There are so many plastics it's hard to name them all. Many are much more expensive and stronger than metals in many applications. The days of disparaging something because it's made of plastic have been long gone.

• Members

I'm with Suitandtieguy on this one. I can't believe this thread has evolved into this negative mine is bigger than yours bs. All because someone unfunky has such a limited vocabulary, they must resort to name calling. Opinions are like ********, and every thread has one. I agree to disagree with what's his name:blah:

Archived