What do you think of Cakewalk Rapture?

Gribs

• Members

well geez ..

I will say most softsynths ive come across are tuned a bit thin in the presets. this is the case more often than not i've found. I personally don't think you should judge anything until you've loaded up a blank patch and tried your hand at making one.

This will easily show if you like the GUI / layout and the raw sound without all the "presentation" presets.

that's just my opinion.

droolz could have posted a specific, but it's just as lame to come back with thanks but no thanks. It's also a peeve of mine to see the one guy who says "not for me" get pounded either for nea saying or because the original poster wasnt spoonfed enough.

True both ways, but it always has to do with the way you say it. You'll notice above that pighood didn't provoke that same kind of response. :cool:

I clearly think you are right about trying any of these things out thoroughly before dismissing them or in the case above dismissing the entire class which is more what I took exception to without any evidence to support it, if you know what I mean.

KAC

• Members

I looked and looked at this software for months, read all about it, watched the available videos, tried the demo and loved the sounds, and despite telling myself that I wouldn't buy anything this month caved finally and went and bought it.

I have been playing with it all evening, taking breaks and posting here, just starting to look at how the presets are built. It is a completely different beast from the other VSTs I own. It definitely opens up a new realm of strange and interesting noise making possibilities.

I seem to be gravitating more and more to soundscape and noise creation.

Hey Gribs, in the interest of exanding my understanding, what in particularly is it that you are seeing/liking as different from you other VSTs and which ones are they.

Thanks!

KAC

• Members

I considered getting Rapture when Cakewalk was having a special on it as part of Sonar upgrade. I didn't try the demo, but I did listen to all of the clips they had available. Overall, I just got a big giant "meh" feeling. Like someone else had said, there wasn't anything in those demos that set it apart. So I didn't buy it.

Not to get too far off topic, but which one(s) are you currently using?

KAC

• Members

Absynth's actually the closest to Rapture (besides z3ta, that is; I consider Rapture as more of a z3ta spinoff than anything else) of all the others I have; they overlap each other's territory to a fair degree.

ew

• Members

In the virtual department, practically nothing except for Absynth. I'm generally not real keen on softsynths, the UI's usually put me off.

In hardware: Poly Evolver, Virus TI, Motif Rack (classic), S-760, Chroma Polaris, Juno 106, and a few other out-of-commision pieces.

Thanks. Absynth came in second in that Computer Music reader's poll.

KAC

• Members

You'll notice above that pighood didn't provoke that same kind of response.
:cool:

Over the years i've come to assume that he is on most peoples ignore list :cop:

Absynth's actually the closest to Rapture

I'd agree, problem with absynth is that most of the emphasis is on the envelopes and not on the architecture. take that with a grain of salt since I haven't used it past ver. 3, but rapture has a leg up in that regard that most of the synth features are upfront accounted for. Other than that they are very similar.

• Members

Back to the original question... I have it and like it.

The factory waves don't do it justice, though; I'd advise getting the
waves for it.

If you load your own samples, you won't be able to use the ring mod/multi/detune for the element unless you trim your sample length to 3000 samples or less. Do that with some of your own samples, and it can do some pretty cool stuff.

ew

Thanks for the link to the Architecture waveforms.

Yes, I did read about the 3000 sample points thing while browsing the Cakewalk forums. Have you tried Craig Anderton's Mini Moog expansion set?

• Members

Hey Gribs, in the interest of exanding my understanding, what in particularly is it that you are seeing/liking as different from you other VSTs and which ones are they.

Thanks!

KAC

I have Albino 3, Vaz Modular, Zebra 2, Gladiator, and the Komplete 4/5 set. From Komplete I use FM8 most and I dink around with making silly noise-makers in Reaktor and leads in Massive from time-to-time. I also play with the Guitar Rig stuff quite a bit. I like the presets for Zebra and have made several of my own but for some reason the interface bugs me. Some people love it but I get tired out quickly when working with it.

I realize the similarity of Rapture to Absynth and in some ways also to Kontakt, but the SFZ format interests me. Personally, I liked a very large number of the dreamy pads in the demo version. Some people are going to like certain sounds and some not, which is ok with me. I happen to like the preset sounds in Rapture. I also like the control surface.

Finally, it seemed like a mountain that was begging to be climbed. There are many posts about it being deep and difficult to program but rewarding once you climb the learning curve, so I decided to give it a shot. Also, I just wanted something different.

• Members

I did not mean to start a flame war here guys. I read everyone's opinions and I do agree that opinions are subjective and I am glad that the people who gave theirs gave them freely. It is interesting to me that sounds which to me sound warm, deep, evolving and complex sound thin to somebody else. Such is the spice of life. I think it would suck if we all liked or disliked everything in exactly the same way.

• Members

I have Albino 3, Vaz Modular, Zebra 2, Gladiator, and the Komplete 4/5 set. From Komplete I use FM8 most and I dink around with making silly noise-makers in Reaktor and leads in Massive from time-to-time. I also play with the Guitar Rig stuff quite a bit. I like the presets for Zebra and have made several of my own but for some reason the interface bugs me. Some people love it but I get tired out quickly when working with it.

I realize the similarity of Rapture to Absynth and in some ways also to Kontakt, but the SFZ format interests me. Personally, I liked a very large number of the dreamy pads in the demo version. Some people are going to like certain sounds and some not, which is ok with me. I happen to like the preset sounds in Rapture. I also like the control surface.

Finally, it seemed like a mountain that was begging to be climbed. There are many posts about it being deep and difficult to program but rewarding once you climb the learning curve, so I decided to give it a shot. Also, I just wanted something different.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I agree about the variety of tastes. My wouldn't life be boring if everything were as expected.

Just wanted to also say thanks for starting the thread, been helpful to me for sure.

KAC

• Members

I bought Dimension Pro after using P5 (got the cheap crossgrade to the full version) - so I haven't really felt a need to purchase Rapture.

That said I absolutely adore Dimension Pro and use it in everything I compose.

Sounds as good as any rompler I own and sits well in the mix against Reason 4 and Reaktor I might add.

Archived