U2 delay pedal

• Members

dude the edge used this Korg rack thing

they go for like 1200 bucks

BUT

theres a dude in the spam thread selling his for 200

you should talk to him

Hey, that would be me! :wave:

Check out my spam thread listing for info about the Korg SDD1000 I'd like to sell. If you really want to sound like 80s Edge, this is The One.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=35519271#post35519271

So I've spent some time in a band playing U2 covers and have a few ideas for you.

If you haven't done it yet, read this guy's study of Edge's playing: http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

He'll explain how all the various delays patterns work and how Edge's equipment works. Much info (not everything) on this site is correct and useful.

Q: "how did Edge make music without tap tempo?"

A: He became the timekeeper for the band. He did the math and punched in the delays he wanted in milliseconds. And the whole band has been playing to a click track ever since.

Much U2 uses a dotted eighth note pattern. The U2 website guy recommends the Line 6 Echo Park because it has a dotted eighth note setting (so do several other more expensive pedals). So you tap in quarter notes (which is easy) and you get 3/16th notes. With discipline and practice you could learn how to tap 3/16th notes in directly, but that is harder to do.

I have an Echo Park and it is a great pedal for the price. It has modulation and can sound pretty Edgey if you dial it in right. But I've always found the sound less warm, bright, and wonderful than the Korg SDD1000. I just replaced my Echo Park with a TC Electronics Nova Delay, which is a great pedal with great sound, 3/16 note pattern (and others), good modulation, tap tempo, etc. But it's out of your stated price range.

The ElectroHarmonix Deluxe Memory Man (DMM) is a famously great-sounding analog delay pedal ($225-$250 used), and it is the one that Edge started out with. He left it behind (for the Korg SDD, and then later for TC Electronics stuff) for reasons that might also apply to you. The DMM has neither tap tempo nor a digital display, so you have to dial in the delay rate completely by ear and feel, then play to it closely to make the precisely-timed U2 stuff work. The Korg SDDs have no tap tempo, but you can enter delay times precisely with knobs an/or buttons. The TC Electronics delays have digital input and also tap tempo, which is the best of all worlds.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it! :cool:

• Members

my echo park might be leaving in favor of an ehx memory boy.

I'm really unsure about what to do with my whammy, I love using it, but when it's off, there's so much noise! beyond an octave down you can barely hear anything, two octaves up is really shrill. I only really use the octave down/octave up harmony setting a lot. I'm wondering if I'd get more use out of an ehx micro synth, even if I didn't, it's true bypass and wont effect my tone sooo much.

• Members

Could come in handy, but not really necessary. The Edge never used tap tempo in the 80s. Not even sure he uses it now.

yes, but tap tempo with dotted rhythms really helps! I'm not good enough to dial in a dotted rhythm at a specific tempo and I've been using delay for years. It's tough.

• Members

If you're looking for a lot of dotted rhythms, I would go with the echo park. Very functional delay. I own an echo park, deluxe memory man, and stereo memory man w/ hazarai. The echo park is by far the easiest to dial in simple delay sounds. it doesn't sound as lush as the dmm and you don't have as much control over the sound of the delays as with the smmh, but it seems like the echo park would suit your needs.

• Members

i have decided that I REALLY CANNOT spend more than $150! I have a tube amp and I heard that analog delays sound much better than digital with tube amps (true?). What pedal can i get that is analog, preferably has tap tempo (or another way to make timing easier), and can be bought for under $150???

• Members

I'm not sure there are any analog delays with tap tempo; if there are, it's extremely rare.

Anyway, the digital/analog argument is one of preference. Gibson vs. Fender. For $150 the echo park is probably your best bet.

Archived