MicrowaveXT vs DSI Evolver wavetable action

• Members

I'm curious about the similarities and/or differences between the wavetable functionality of these two synths. How close are they?

I know you can cycle waves with the sequencer in the Evolver, but I don't know if that's the same kinda thing that the Microwave does. Am I totally off-base with how these synths are related?

I've been eyeballing a MicrowaveXT for a while now and wondering if it's worth saving the extra couple hundred bucks for one vs. an Evolver. I've also heard that NI's Massive behaves much like a Microwave, and I already own that.

Thanks for any info.

• Members

Funnt psyche brings it up though. I remember when I got my Evolver when it first came out and it oozed what I wanted from the Xt. Might not make sense, but at the time, the Xt was one fairly recent synth that was a wild child and could make really cool sounds. But the Evolver just has that nasty grimminess to it. And I just remember thinking, this is a Skinny Puppy in a box right here. :D Don't know how you can put that in a box, but...

Still, these guys are right, they sound nothing alike. They are both Exotic types of synths and can both do extremely wild sounds and textures, but they are 2 different flavors or Exotic. Would you like a Papaya or a Star Fruit?

(I do think software these days can do a good amount of what the XT can, but no software can analog craziness like the Evolver)

• Members

I know you can cycle waves with the sequencer in the Evolver, but I don't know if that's the same kinda thing that the Microwave does....

I don't have either one, but it's my understanding that the Evo can load in single cycle waves that are (maybe), 164 samples in length.

This will give you a single, constant wave sound that can be manipulated with the Evo's tools.

Wavetables, like in the XT, are like a bunch of single cycle waves, joined together, with the ability to 'travel through' them using different modulation sources.

Carbon 111's site has a bunch of info on these.

• Members

Yeah, I was reading about loading Evolver waves into the sequencer and thought that it would act like a wavetable, but apparently that's not quite right.

Re-read the Microwave manual and got a refresher course on how it's wavetable behaves (and the interpolation therein).

• Members

Excellent. I figured Massive would be a fun synth to design a custom controller for.

Perhaps I should paint it orange.

heh, thanks for that link, some interesting stuff.

However, soldering challenged as I am, using Massive with the Kore controller

makes a good substitute...hmm, maybe I should paint it orange!

Archived