OT: Self-employment

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I were in your shoes, ElectricPuppy, I would keep the job AND try and do the free-lancing thing on the side. The amount of work to keep jobs coming in, and then doing those jobs, plus all of the administrative stuff, is about the same as working full time and doing stuff on the side at your leisure. Except, when you're self-employed, there is no such thing as "work at your leisure" - you are either working, or you're wasting time not doing your work. Get it?

+1 on all points.

• Members

I'm self employed. Of course, my wife and I swapped roles - she works full-time with bennies and I stay home with the kids and work up my business. After two years we're near the point where she can go part-time and my business will cover health insurance. Next school year the youngest starts morning daily pre-school and, while I don't want the boys to grow up too fast, OTOH the extra time to work during the day can't come too soon.

It's A LOT of work - work, work, work all of the time. If you love what you do, and the simplest accomplishments in your work bring you pleasure/satisfaction, then it is wholly worthwhile.

BUT, I would have never ever started this had my wife not been able to pick up the slack. As with any start-up, you have to expect three years or so of working at it before you start to determine if it's going to work out. I know other self-employed folks who tell me it took five years of constantly working "at it" before business really started to cook.

If I were in your shoes, ElectricPuppy, I would keep the job AND try and do the free-lancing thing on the side. The amount of work to keep jobs coming in, and then doing those jobs, plus all of the administrative stuff, is about the same as working full time and doing stuff on the side at your leisure. Except, when you're self-employed, there is no such thing as "work at your leisure" - you are either working, or you're wasting time not doing your work. Get it?

Have to say thats exactly how I did it too- theres a point where you have to cut the cord (or in this case chord...ugh sorry) but its good to get your feet wet before deciding anything!

• Members

Since this is your first self-employment situation then the answer is no, purely based on your ability to cope with unemployment and gain new employment on your own. Plus your wife is not ready to take over financially in the event it's necessary. Also your debts (no need to list them) haven't been mentioned and people on comfy jobs tend to amass more than they should. If you are debt-free then it's easy to play with your options.

Work on this project part time and prepare to go solo when you are ready. Build independent business relationships that will guarantee your ability to sustain yourself. When you have your personal business foundation in place then pursue your dreams.

You knew that most people here would tell you to go for it. Sorry to be the voice of reason.

maybe he should better keep that job

• Members

Here's the thing about being self-employed: it's all your time. Last week I had to go into the Doctor's office to have an eye infection checked. Of course they wouldn't give me an appointment, I had to wait an hour to see a nurse and then they told me to come back two hours later when a Doctor could finally check me. When I was working full time this wouldn't have been a big deal, just an afternoon at the Doctor's, maybe I would have called in sick for half a day. I still would have gotten paid, no problem. As a self-employed programmer I lost five hours of time I'll never get back.

Also, don't underestimate your value as a software engineer to the person who's designing this new instrument. Brilliant ideas about innovative new instruments are a dime a dozen, but people who can actually manipulate code to make these things happen are quite valuable. You'll most likely get the flexibility you need to work on this development project without upending your professional life if you insist on it.

• Members

This is entirely OT, but since synths tend to attract tech geeks, I'll bet there's some here that can provide some insight.

I'm seriously considering leaving a long-time position to contribute on the development of a musical instrument. The problem is that the work will likely be contract-based as opposed to a salaried position.

From a practical standpoint, this is probably the worst idea ever. I make good money, with benefits, with people I've worked with for 17 years, and future prospects are starting to look bright. I would be giving this up to work on a relatively short-term project (less than a year) with no guarantee of future work.

On the other hand: The project is to develop the embedded system for a new musical instrument with a luminary in the business, who's said that while he can't guarantee anything, he has more ideas and there MAY be more to do after this one thing.

I'm totally torn.

I'm bored at my current job, which has started to feel more like a prison sentence now that we've been acquired by a large company. This is an opportunity to work on a something that personally interests me. I've wanted to build synthesizers since I was a pre-teen dabbling in electronics. Here's a chance for me to put life into an instrument that has real potential.

So: Stick with comfort and security, or chase a dream? If I decide to do this, here's the real question:

What can I expect as a self-employed software engineer? How is compensation usually arranged? Is it usually a billable-hours thing, or a flat price? I realize I will be responsible for my own witholdings, health insurance, etc. Can someone point me towards some info on how this works?

Thanks guys.
:thu:

You have but one life to live. Endeavor to be as happy as possible. I would gladly trade living comfortable doing what I want to do over being wealthy but unhappy within my current career.

In sharing, I wholeheartedly feel as if life is passing me by as I have to constantly make sacrifices for a system that isn't what it used to be, so I'm not happy with it. Losing my soul as another mindless drone in an ant farm for the sake of a buck is not living life but simply existing. Repeated backstabbing and asinine assumptions don't do anything to help the situation. Given this, it really gets my goat when somebody wonders or feels the need to address my attitude when it's these very people that gave it to me.

Live your life as best as you can and make a contribution to the human race that satisfies you. I for one intend to do so after a few more years.

Think about it.

There would be no pioneers or little change if everyone was a safe ass! Somebody had to take a chance to found and grow the very company YOU work for.

To quote Captain Kirk,"Chance is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair."

• Members
To quote Captain Kirk,"Chance is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair."

Winner! :thu::D

Took another long walk with teh wife (yeah, i said "teh"!), and she said that if this pans out and I get a good offer, then she'll beat me senseless if I don't take it. So, i guess that's that. I have to do this OR ELSE. :lol:

Just got an email. He's going on vacation for a couple of weeks, and wants to see who else bites, but he's still interested. So that's that for two weeks. Cross your fingers that I don't get aced out.

On the other hand, if I get trumped, then I'll continue to be safe and comfy.

Thanks again, everyone, for all your ideas.

• Members

Winner!
:thu::D

Took another long walk with teh wife (yeah, i said "teh"!), and she said that if this pans out and I get a good offer, then she'll beat me senseless if I don't take it. So, i guess that's that. I have to do this OR ELSE.
:lol:

Just got an email. He's going on vacation for a couple of weeks, and wants to see who else bites, but he's still interested. So that's that for two weeks. Cross your fingers that I don't get aced out.

On the other hand, if I get trumped, then I'll continue to be safe and comfy.

Thanks again, everyone, for all your ideas.

A supportive spouse means a lot.

• Members

Hey you're not that far, I'm at the 5 and Jeffery. Yeah, it's cool. Way cool. We'll see about beta testing. :D

I hope my prospective employer doesn't surf this forum, or has someone who does and can connect the dots... otherwise, I've kinda tipped my hand, haven't I? :lol::D

• Members
Hey you're not that far, I'm at the 5 and Jeffery. Yeah, it's cool. Way cool. We'll see about beta testing.
:D

I hope my prospective employer doesn't surf this forum, or has someone who does and can connect the dots... otherwise, I've kinda tipped my hand, haven't I?
:lol::D

If you do really want working feedback if it happens, PM me. My mentor is a BALLER...

No joke on tipping the hand. Im always VERY careful to say mentor instead of his name. I also NEVER say where his studio is. Plus I can be an ass and don't ever want that to reflect on him! he'd be PISSED!

But you seem much less antagonistic than I!:thu: Regardless R&D is no joke. Ive been sworn to keep my mouth shut numerous times this year! These posts would be so much more fun otherwise!

• Members

I'm much more a go-with-the-flow kinda guy, so yeah, not much antagonism from me. :) I've been making a conscious effort to refrain from names and places here, though. Naming names isn't really necessary here anyway.

And i'm no stranger to R&D. In my real-life job, I'm working on something seriously cutting-edge, and can't say a word of it to anyone. At best, all it would get me is some brief notariety, and then what? Not worth it. :thu:

• Members

Sadly naming names wouldn't work for me cause nobody would know who the hell Im talking about! And by baller, I mean 30 years in the business! Monster player, monster theory! Don't misunderstand!

We had Greenday in the studio for a while but they wouldn't let me in...:cry: Hard to name drop being left out!

They had really really nice gear! Wheres the drool smilies?

• Members
Aaaaaaand I think that's our lot. Thanks everyone for your input!

You all may commence trashing this thread with your silly cat pics.

I can't believe I just read this whole thread. :poke:

I've been both full time and freelance in a couple of fields (computers, writing) and am currently employeed full time doing computer enginnering/architecture work and doing my creative - writing, music, etc. on the side but not as a money-making venture.

Sounds like you have a very supportive wife and you say you have the ability to pay off the mortgage if needed. Hell, with those two things in the bank, go for it!

Let us know how it turns out. You better after getting all this excellent input. :lol:

KAC

• Members
I went independent back in 2004, and it's the best thing I could've done. We just hired our 3rd and 4th rep into the firm, and there's no sign of slowing down at this point...

Do it.

Well......I don't think you can say that in general, it's dependent on the business/market you are in etc.

KAC

• Members

You get "ass-reamed" by the IRS and health insurance companies whether you're self-employed or an employee. The difference is that as the former you know exactly how badly you're being "ass-reamed".

When you're someone's employee it's like being in a threesome. Being self employed on the other hand is hot, no holds barred one-on-one IRS/health insurance ass-reaming action.:freak:

The American health insurance industry is so geared to accommodating huge corporations with their economies of scale that any individual or small company is thoroughly screwed financially. Of course our health crisis is getting to the point where even the largest corporations can't pay the bills. With regards to the IRS the notion that your employer is paying "half" of your social security taxes is absurd. Where exactly is their "half" coming from? Sadly most Americans buy that idea, just as many of them actually get excited about receiving tax refunds. "Yippee - I just gave the IRS a year long interest free loan, and then paid H&R block interest to get access to my own money a few weeks earlier!":cop::eek:

• Members
...... just as many of them actually get excited about receiving tax refunds. "Yippee - I just gave the IRS a year long interest free loan, and then paid H&R block interest to get access to my own money a few weeks earlier!":cop:
:eek:

Isn't political capitalism wonderful? :evil:

KAC

Archived