NPDx2! Barber 1/2 Gainer & Stomp Under Foot Triangle Muff!!

• Members

ok just got finished giving 'em both their initial run through... yeah the 1/2 Gainer is a dual LTD w/ mids control which the other ones don't have. The instructions tell you how to dial in the LTD SR sound, too, which is pretty cool.

As stated, its huge! But it sounds great. honestly there was a second when I had my fender cooking with a little bit of natural overdrive and I thought I was playing the LTD. realized it was off, turned it on, practically the same sound. this is a GOOD thing--basically got 3 gain stages right there with those settings, amp OD, turned the gain up a tiny bit on the ltd with some extra mids for a little jump, then crank the gain on the 2nd channel up all the way and add some more mids and some extra volume for a great solo boost. VERY COOL.

I haven't messed with the trimmers inside yet but it sounds very very sweet, got that trademark LTD transparency for sure but its got a lot more gain than I expected it to, and the mids control is really really useful. One thing I tried with the S.U.F. Muff which I'll get to in a second is taking one of the channels on the 1/2 Gainer and turning the gain down very low, adding some volume, putting a nice big mid boost in there and then goosing the muff with it. Sounded great! And now I've got a proper mids booster without owning a tubescreamer. win!

On to the muff... this puppy is very cool, comes from Matt's own collection I have to assume as I snagged it on another forum's B/S/T and its serial #1 of his Triangle v1.5 builds (no idea how many he did)... and is likely the exact pedal in the soundclips on his muff section here- http://www.stompunderfoot.com/BIG_MUFFS.html

sounds really good, very punchy bass w/ my P-90s, ALMOST a little too much but I got it dialed in pretty well after a minute. mids aren't super scooped but like i said above giving them a bit of a push in the right context sounded great. fantastic tone, lots of range in the controls, pretty much everything you'd want a muff to be.

all in all i'd say they are both big big winners! I really want a Screaming Panda now ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

ok just had to bump this quick to say this muff absolutely KILLS with my jazzmaster. {censored}ing perfection. love it so much i ordered a screaming panda! matt is doing some seriously great work here!

What Jazzmaster do you have?

I have been thinking of getting one or making one over at Warmoth

• Members

i was lucky enough to nab a Costello edition before the price hike at the beginning of the year, its fantastic. Lollar PUPs.

given the price hikes though if i were in the market for a new JM again I'd probably go the Warmoth route myself. They have so many great finishes! My next guitar will probably be a Warmoth strat.

• Members

i was lucky enough to nab a Costello edition before the price hike at the beginning of the year, its fantastic. Lollar PUPs.

given the price hikes though if i were in the market for a new JM again I'd probably go the Warmoth route myself. They have so many great finishes! My next guitar will probably be a Warmoth strat.

I might go Warmoth as I would like to do one with a hardtail strat bridge.

• Members

I'm still looking for some soundclips/demo's of that Barber...

hah... I uhh... sold it already. It was sorta overkill for my "light OD" needs but might be perfect for somebody else. Check out the PGS demos of the LTD and LTD SR, it basically gets those exact sounds with the added bonus that you can crank the mids if need be. The SR is with the mids totally scooped out. I might actually pick up an LTD at some point, its a GREAT sound, but honestly I can get nearly identical tones out of my amp's natural overdrive.

Still loving the muff though :thu:

• 1 month later...

Archived