Problems with Pigtronix Attack Sustain

WickedWesley

• Members

Hey there!

Half a year ago I got a Pigtronix Attack Sustain, didn't really figure the pedal out, so I never really used it. So last night, I took the manual and sat down with just a Les Paul, a Twin and the pedal.

I got some nice settings (besides the 'slow gear' and tremolo), but very quickly a problem arose that I couldn't fix.

Whenever the compression is on (blend on 12 o'clock or full on) I can here some sort of clipping on the first note I play (and every note after a silence, probably after the cycle has reset) As you can imagine this is quite annoying and makes the pedal unusable.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the pedal is very loud, if I plug in my guitar and turn the blend all the way up (only compressed signal), I have to keep the volume at 9 o'clock or lower for a unity volume.

I noticed that there are some other Attack Sustain users around here, maybe someone can help me? Am I doing something wrong here?

I tried different amps, guitar, cables and turning the volume down on the guitar, didn't help. I am using the power supply supplied by Pigtronix, I assume it is okay since the pedal comes on and everything else works.

Anyway, thanks for reading, I hope someone can put me in the right direction!

Cheers,

Wesley

Do you have the Harmonix knob turned up a bit? That adds distortion to the signal. Also the Attack Sustain is a really high output pedal, so you should watch your output volume levels too.

If those don't clear up your issues, I'd contact Pigtronix and ask for help / suggestions. They're good folks, and have always been willing to help whenever I've had a question.

• Members

Do you have the Harmonix knob turned up a bit? That adds distortion to the signal. Also the Attack Sustain is a really high output pedal, so you should watch your output volume levels too.

If those don't clear up your issues, I'd contact Pigtronix and ask for help / suggestions. They're good folks, and have always been willing to help whenever I've had a question.

Hey Phil, I was hoping you would chime in :) Yes, the harmonix is all the way down, that was on of the first thing I checked. Good to know that the output is supposed to be like that. I will check it all once more to be sure and then mail Pigtronix with my findings. Hope it can be fixed easily or that I'm doing it wrong, sending it to the US and back would be costly :cry:

Anyway, thanks! :thu:

Wesley

• Members

I get the same thing. Even with the harmonix turned off. The output knob will control it but for mine it's touchy. Either too little volume or (with a slight turn) too much and it clips. Mine clips easily. A synthy slow gear is the only sound I can use on this.

Also I can't get infinite sustain without lots of feedback. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I wrestled with this quite a bit. Great for slow gear though.

• Members

I get the same thing. Even with the harmonix turned off. The output knob will control it but for mine it's touchy. Either too little volume or (with a slight turn) too much and it clips. Mine clips easily. A synthy slow gear is the only sound I can use on this.

Also I can't get infinite sustain without lots of feedback. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I wrestled with this quite a bit. Great for slow gear though.

Hey Peridot, seems like it might be the nature of the pedal then. Does yours clip all the time, or also just during the attack of your pick? I'm not really sure if I can achieve infinite sustain, but I did notice I got *a lot* of extra sustain. Do you use any distortion? That can induce quite some feedback combined with the Attack Sustain, I think?

Thank you for the info! :thu:

• Members

I don't know, but reading around it does seem like some companies ship out pedals that are not as great as the rest. I use to praise this pedal for it's synthy swells, but when I tried later (a few months later) to get infinite sustain, tremelo, sawtooth, toy piano.. etc I have a heck of a time finding something useable. And I think I'm pretty good at complicated interfaces.

Tried to sell it local too for $100 and the guy wouldn't buy after he demo'd it. Maybe a bad pedal. But it sure nailed slow gear.

It doesn't clip all the time but a lot. Very touchy.

You're suppose to get infinite sustain by turning the attack and decay stomp buttons off. After 3 or so seconds I get loads of feedback. It'll last forever but it's feedback.

Didn't use distortion. ASDR has enough gain already it seems.

Also the decay is quite abrupt and unpredictable to me.

Archived