OT: Denali Nat'l Park?

• Members

Indipendence mine is the "main" attraction up there. However you can just walk around and go exploring. There's a bunch of trails. It's super pretty up there. You could probably still pick blueberrys too if you wanted. Also alyeska is about a 15 minute detour on your way down to Seward. Seward is about 2-3 hours out of anchorage and alyeska is about 30-45 minutes. Hatchers is about a hour north and Denali is I think about 2 or 3 hours from anchorage. It's been a while since I've gone that way... I need to make the trip soon.

• Members

Don't be surprised if you don't get to see the mountain, but there is still plenty of other stuff to see. If it's out, consider yourself very lucky. I just took the bus ride, I think it was 6 hours in and 6 back, there is a longer trip that goes all the way in to Wonder Lake, which is what you see in that pic. Saw bears, moose, caribou, saw a wolf and lots of great scenery.

I lived in Alaska for 10 years, when I finally decided to go to Denali I watched the weather reports and booked up there from Anchorage when I saw it was gonna be a nice clear day.

Holy cow! The weather here has been magnificent today. McKinley was clear as a bell. Pics upon return. Today we saw Talkeetna and drove through Denali. Tomorrow we take the Eielson experience.

Somedayrockstar! Did you get out in this gorgeous weather?

I can't believe we have wifi in the camp. This place is pretty progressive for a wilderness frontier.

• Members
Holy cow! The weather here has been magnificent today. McKinley was clear as a bell. Pics upon return. Today we saw Talkeetna and drove through Denali. Tomorrow we take the Eielson experience.

I can't believe we have wifi in the camp. This place is pretty progressive for a wilderness frontier.

:thu: Enjoy yourself!

• Members

You're a lucky rascal! Pretty nice part of the country, ain't it?

• Members

One of the best trips I've ever had. I can't wait to go back again. This time was kind of an appetizer, a survey to see what was on the menu. Next time we'll probably just stay in Denali, camp out, and do some longer hikes. Thanks again, guys, for all the great recommendations!

Here are a few of my photos from the trip:

3908045141_e43178668f_b.jpg

3908046109_0d61bfc40e_b.jpg

3908826516_bd54794cef_b.jpg

3908047435_a34ef49f28_b.jpg

3908824932_fdf35ca81a_b.jpg

• Members

Nice pics!!! I've been on that long dusty road.:)

You picked the perfect time of year to go, leaves starting to turn, it sure is pretty up there in the fall.

That is one helluva big piece of rock.

did you see any sea lions in Seward?

See any critters in Denali?

• Members
Nice pics!!! I've been on that long dusty road.
:)

You picked the perfect time of year to go, leaves starting to turn, it sure is pretty up there in the fall.

That is one helluva big piece of rock.

did you see any sea lions in Seward?

See any critters in Denali?

Early September definitely seems to be a great time to visit (except ice climbers, since the ice is too mushy).

We were super lucky with the wildlife viewings. My wife has the nice Nikon with a great zoom lens, so she did all of the wildlife shots. We saw sea lions, humpback whales, orcas, eagles, and puffins in Seward. In Denali we saw black bears, foxes, wolves, dall sheep, and bull moose. Unfortunately, we didn't see any muskox.

Archived