OT: Denali Nat'l Park?

• Members

I'm headed there next week. Coming from Orlando, I'm prepared to freeze my ass off and have every pore on body sucked dry by aridity. But these pics look pretty f'in awesome, so I'm excited despite the climate adjustment.

We're only staying 2 nights in Carlo Creek outside of Denali.

Anyone been? Any recommendations for things to do?

Mt_McKinley-Pano..jpg

Alaska%20-%20Mt%20Mc%20Kinley.jpg

AmericanGeographyAlaskaMtMcKinley.jpg

• Members

Don't be surprised if you don't get to see the mountain, but there is still plenty of other stuff to see. If it's out, consider yourself very lucky. I just took the bus ride, I think it was 6 hours in and 6 back, there is a longer trip that goes all the way in to Wonder Lake, which is what you see in that pic. Saw bears, moose, caribou, saw a wolf and lots of great scenery.
I lived in Alaska for 10 years, when I finally decided to go to Denali I watched the weather reports and booked up there from Anchorage when I saw it was gonna be a nice clear day.

• Members
Don't be surprised if you don't get to see the mountain, but there is still plenty of other stuff to see. If it's out, consider yourself very lucky. I just took the bus ride, I think it was 6 hours in and 6 back, there is a longer trip that goes all the way in to Wonder Lake, which is what you see in that pic. Saw bears, moose, caribou, saw a wolf and lots of great scenery.

I lived in Alaska for 10 years, when I finally decided to go to Denali I watched the weather reports and booked up there from Anchorage when I saw it was gonna be a nice clear day.

Thanks for the info :thu: We've been watching the webcam on Mckinley for the last couple of months, and the clouds only cleared for a few of those days :facepalm: So I hear you. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll have the time to reach Wonder Lake :cry: Hopefully there'll be a next time.

• Members

Thanks for the info
:thu:
We've been watching the webcam on Mckinley for the last couple of months, and the clouds only cleared for a few of those days
:facepalm:
So I hear you. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll have the time to reach Wonder Lake
:cry:
Hopefully there'll be a next time.

If you've never been to Alaska you're in for a treat, no matter what. :thu:

shouldn't be too cold yet, though.

• Members
If you've never been to Alaska you're in for a treat, no matter what.
:thu:

shouldn't be too cold yet, though.

The locals are telling us to prepare for highs in the forties. That's not too bad, but relative to Orlando, it's a bit nippy.

But yeah, I can't wait to even just drive along Interstate A-1.

• Members
The locals are telling us to prepare for highs in the forties. That's not too bad, but relative to Orlando, it's a bit nippy.

But yeah, I can't wait to even just drive along Interstate A-1.

Ain't no Interstates in Alaska. :D

• Members
I was going to suggest you take the drive from Anchorage down to the Peninsula if you had time, one of the nicest parts of the state.

We planned in a drive to Kenai before leaving. We're taking the 7 hour boat cruise. Apparently we should expect rain, but we should also see whales and puffins :eek::D

• Members
Depending on the time you got... Go up to hatchers pass, down to homer, if you get a chance to go halibut fishing that would definantly be worth it. I can get you more info if you would like. Just pm or whatever...

Woah! Hatcher's Pass looks really awesome!

175.jpg

We might have time to check that out. Homer and halibut fishing will be more difficult to fit in, though it sounds like a blast :thu:

• Members

Also on your way down to Seward stop by portage glacier and the big game preserve thing... I think portage you can still walk around on if not matanuska glacier you can. Also alyeska is definantly cool. Ride the tram and things... You should have a really great time no matter what you do.

• Members

Also on your way down to Seward stop by portage glacier and the big game preserve thing... I think portage you can still walk around on if not matanuska glacier you can. Also alyeska is definantly cool. Ride the tram and things... You should have a really great time no matter what you do.

My wife is planning this whole trip, and she already has Portage on the agenda :cool: She said we'll add Alyeska if we have some time. Unfortunately, we're only there for about 4 days.

I definitely want to see Independence Mine. What else in Hatcher's Pass would you recommend?

Thanks a billion for all of these suggestions, Somedayrockstar and Zcat! :wave:

Archived