Best Solid State Combo Amp?

HMCMedic

• Members

The Tech21 stuff is pretty sweet, JC-120 (but see above controversy as to the quality of its dirt), Lab Series L5 for sure (designed by Bob Moog) - if you can live with digital modeling, I'm guessing the Roland Cube series has something large enough to gig with - the Microcube I had sounded pretty spectacular if you went direct out (the speaker was to little to play very loud).

• Members

JC-120 (but see above controversy as to the quality of its dirt)

^ Good point.

I haven't gotten together a range of JCs to test my theory, but I'm pretty sure that the quality of both the dirt & the chorus have fallen over the years. This amp has been made continuously since 1975 & undergone ~8 circuit revisions. What started out as a BBD driven chorus circuit identical to the Boss CE-1 is now most certainly something digital & I'd guess the dirt has been voiced/achieved differently as well in the last ~35yrs.

• Members

H-H amps are supposed to be really nice; a lot of English bands used to use them (T. Rex, The Buzzcocks, Pink Floyd, etc.). I wouldn't mind having one, but I don't think there are any in the US.

Bauhaus! ive been looking for one around my area for awhile and havent been able to come up on anything

Archived