Would this A/B/Y box idea work on my Bad Cat?

Kid_A

• Members

I have a Bad Cat Black Cat head that has two independant inputs... channel one is the clean classic EL84 sound, and Channel 2 is the EF86 crunch sound... the head also has a shared master volume.

Could I use an A/B/Y box to select either or both channels?

This is probably a very dumb question but I have never had an amp to do this with before...

I was thinking the shared master volume might be an issue, or noise?

If this works it'l be like finding out I have been given a new amp for the cost of a switcher! :thu:

• Members

I've done this with my Deluxe Reverb with pleasing results, but only with A/B... the channels are out of phase with each other, so the Y function was very muted. There is no master volume the DRRI though, so I'm not sure how much of an issue that might be for you... does your amp's channels have their own volume as well as the shared master? If so, I don't think there would be much of an issue there. :idk:

• Members
The Y function might have been muted because you're presenting half the input to each channel. It's no different to using two individual amps with the Y output. In AB mode, each amp on its own sounds louder than when it's used in Y mode with the other amp. Well, it does with my ABY box
:)

also the channels on fender amps with reverb are out of phase with each other

• Members
The Y function might have been muted because you're presenting half the input to each channel. It's no different to using two individual amps with the Y output. In AB mode, each amp on its own sounds louder than when it's used in Y mode with the other amp. Well, it does with my ABY box
:)

also the channels on fender amps with reverb are out of phase with each other

• Members

If you don't want batteries, and don't need to switch (i.e. a constant "Y" split), I'd look at the Lehle P-split II. It will do the isolated outputs thing (which might not be an issue, as you'll be using both outputs with the same amp, but anyway) and can phase-reverse one output, should you need it. It should also prevent impedance issues when splitting to both inputs, even if you split right from the guitar (with no buffered pedals in front of the split).

P-Split-II_380.jpg

• Members
If you don't want batteries, and don't need to switch (i.e. a constant "Y" split), I'd look at the Lehle P-split II. It will do the isolated outputs thing (which might not be an issue, as you'll be using both outputs with the same amp, but anyway) and can phase-reverse one output, should you need it. It should also prevent impedance issues when splitting to both inputs, even if you split right from the guitar (with no buffered pedals in front of the split).

P-Split-II_380.jpg

Highly recommended. I have one basically brand new that I'm probably going to sell (pm if interested:cool:) - I had the red little dual, bought the P-Split in an attempt to simplify, then decided that I want the ability switch between and combine the channels after all, so going back to the little dual. The P-Split II works flawlessly for what it does.

Archived