Engl Thunder 50

matt the rat

• Members

I know this isn't the amp forum, but I like everyone here better and trust you more. Anyone ever used an Engl? Probably not a popular choice in these parts, but there has got to be a couple of you that know about it.

All the reviews look awesome. Supposedly has everything from crystal cleans to 5150 chugs. Sounds perfect for what I'd be using it for. Just thought I'd check with you guys to see if their is something I'm missing that would make this a no go.

• Members

I don't like the smaller Engl combos. The ones I tried were way too compressed (though that apparently is considered the Engl sound) and sounded like somebody hung a blanket over the speaker.

The thunder also doesn't go all the way to 5150 tones, you better try the screamer for that. I also hate the fact that they only offer one shared EQ for whatnothowmany channels.

• Members

I don't like the smaller Engl combos. The ones I tried were way too compressed (though that apparently is considered the Engl sound) and sounded like somebody hung a blanket over the speaker.

The thunder also doesn't go all the way to 5150 tones, you better try the screamer for that. I also hate the fact that they only offer one shared EQ for whatnothowmany channels.

I guess I'm not completely sure what constitutes as 5150 gain territory, but in the few demo videos I've seen the Thunder has had lots and lots of gain even like 75 percent up.

Archived