looking to add a top board to live rig for organ

c4racer

• Members

+1 on the CX-3, being a proud owner of one myself.

The XK1 is a great sounding board. A good friend of mine gigs with one. The sound is fat and ballsy. Great keyboard action:thu:

I second the CX-3. I had one and did not realize how good it was till I went out to see Tuck's band footnote last year. It sounded great out front.

• Members

I had a rehearsal last night and we added Born to be Wild back to our song list. Boy, that was fun to play, but sure was cumbersome doing all the palm smears and slides with a full weighted keyboard!! I wsa using a Kurtz PC-88X triggering my Triton rack module. This morning I was playing around with organ patches and found one I like better than by normal standy Velo BX3 patch that will work well for that song - it is an Velo BX3 Overdrive patch. At least until I get something better, it will do for now!!

• Members

Don't be too hard on yourself. Korg and Roland manuals are notoriously tough reads for
anyone

That's exactly what you should be able to do. In "Multi" mode, the Triton responds on up to 16 different MIDI channels. So you set your upper keyboard to send patch change and note information on one MIDI channel, the KX-88 to send on another MIDI channel and you should be in business.

One tricky thing is that the MIDI outs from the two controllers have to be merged before they're connected to the Triton's MIDI input. You can get a MIDI merge box, or you might check to see if the KX-88 merges MIDI signals it receives on its MIDI input with those it sends MIDI output.

Well - yes it does merge signals. BUT - it is not very easy to control the Triton from the KX-88 because it does not have the ability to access all of the banks. So as a result I manually control the Triton for patch settings and only use the modulation wheel and volume controls from the KX-88. So from my quick look at the Multi mode it doesn't look like you can control patches from the Triton itself - although that might not be true - need to check the manual on that. Unless maybe I can control both patch settings from the top board, if I get a newer MIDI board that can access all of the banks in the Triton. Something I will have to play with I think.

Archived