April New Gear Thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
My Electribe EA-1 and RM1X both arrived today, got the two of them for $200 from an impoverished student (hey that's what he wanted for them!). I figured that was too much of a bargain to pass up. Upgrading the D-70 will just have to wait another couple months.

Now I'm seriously going to get into hardware sequencing again.

Regardless of what people say about the RM1X sounds, some are still useable and quite cool. I really liked the RS7000 sounds better, but there is tons of cool stuff to explore in that box. I bet if people would actually use a preamp to record that thing, it'd sound up to standards just like any other synth (depending on the sound you use ;) )

• Members

Would you go with the UAD Xpander Xtreme or the TC Powercore?

UAD for affordable EQ and Compressors, Powercore for (extremely expensive) mastering, reverbs and synths. One thing to remember is there's arguably as good native compression and EQ's available as UAD has, but there's nothing native that's as good as things like VSS3 on Powercore, nor the MD3 (Although Ozone and Waves L3 are pretty good). But, to put it politely, TC rape your buttocks with the prices, and they are also one of those companies that's more interested in churning out new products than fixing older ones in a timely fashion. Nowhere is this more apparent than their computer products. UAD are a far better company in regard to how they approach customers and existing products, they're more sensibly priced, and they seem to have gathered more of a community around them, I think largely down to how badly TC treats its customers (blocking you transferring software licenses, even to your own cards, because they assume you're a pirate etc)

I am really pushing my computer (I am running a MacBook Pro @ 2.2Ghz DuoCore w/4 gigs of ram), and I have to freeze tracks when running effects on certain sounds while writing (for example - having guitar tracks playing in Abelton with some verb/wierd effect + 10 other tracks, while you are jamming some synth solo running in Arturia). I'd rather not be constantly converting {censored} to audio as things change constantly... perhaps I'm just lazy.

Not so much lazy. People are either ok bouncing or not. It'd definitely help you out, but keep in mind desktops will be knocking on the door of 16 cores 3 years down the line, so it's not necessarily a great long term investment and has other issues (like OS support eventually etc..)

• Members

How do you like the Novation SL Compact, crazycarl? How are the pads on that? I have regular SL37 and the pads are as hard as a brick. Somehow useable though.

I like it a lot. The pads are ok, I guess they are hard but I feel I can be decently expressive with them.

• Members

UAD for affordable EQ and Compressors, Powercore for (extremely expensive) mastering, reverbs and synths. One thing to remember is there's arguably as good native compression and EQ's available as UAD has, but there's nothing native that's as good as things like VSS3 on Powercore, nor the MD3 (Although Ozone and Waves L3 are pretty good). But, to put it politely, TC rape your buttocks with the prices, and they are also one of those companies that's more interested in churning out new products than fixing older ones in a timely fashion. Nowhere is this more apparent than their computer products. UAD are a far better company in regard to how they approach customers and existing products, they're more sensibly priced, and they seem to have gathered more of a community around them, I think largely down to how badly TC treats its customers (blocking you transferring software licenses, even to your own cards, because they assume you're a pirate etc)

Not so much lazy. People are either ok bouncing or not. It'd definitely help you out, but keep in mind desktops will be knocking on the door of 16 cores 3 years down the line, so it's not necessarily a great long term investment and has other issues (like OS support eventually etc..)

The response is greatly appreciated. Do you have any familiarity with Logic? Logic's plugins for EQing/multi-band compression, etc., is really going to make or break the deal with me in regards to whether or not I go for the UAD xpander. UAD just had a MAJOR price drop on their Xpert. I want their mastering plugins, reverb, roland delay, and a couple of their compressors and EQs.

Once again, the outboard effects isn't until I finish editing the songs and the like...

Cheers,

Phil

• Members

I unloaded 20 years worth of hardware over the last 6 years... now I'm having a ball and making music more often, with so many more possibilities. ADK Pro Audio took all of the PC/Laptop Studio intimidations away with a glitch free setup, spec'd out, tested, and turnkey ready. Thanks Scott !
With Line 6 Gearbox Gold and a variax handling all of my guitar tracks, Addictive Drums providing the most unreal drum tracks I've ever been able to assemble, my only needs now are to maybe round of my sound arsenal with a few well selected VST's. Sonar 7 covers most bases, but I want to supplement their included plugs with a nice EP (lounge lizard maybe?) and pianos (I'm intrigued by Pianoteq).

• Members

my new flavor this month (so far), as seen on matrixsynth...

mister space echo:

space2.jpg

Man, I'm really starting to dislike these Pratt-Read keyboards ! Check out the lowest B on your Mini... :rolleyes:

It seems that almost any P/R keyboard seems to develop this behavior sooner or later...

• Members

Man, I'm really starting to dislike these Pratt-Read keyboards ! Check out the lowest B on your Mini...
:rolleyes:
It seems that almost any P/R keyboard seems to develop this behavior sooner or later...

ha- such timing!! at 1974, it's older than i & it's never had its rubber bushings replaced. i bought this a couple months back and as of today it is fully restored- professionally recap'd, cleaned, replaced the wicked old power cord, cleaned everything. guess which part i actually fixed myself? i replaced the bushings & cleaned the keys.

i own 5 mono synths & they all play like they were built yesterday! i can't tell you how nice that is.

minimoog keyboard as of yesterday (note the pile of old bushings in the bottom left):

minibush1.JPG

minimoog keyboard as of today:

minibush2.jpg

i trust you will find these restored keys more to your liking. :D

• Members

Not sure actually ;)

I reaplced the bushing in my OBXa and ended up having very "spongy" action. I'n not sure it this is due to the springs, or the way the new bushings are made. The ones I got are from Archive-Sound (great service !)

Does the springs need lubrication as well ?

I wish to restore my Prophet 5 keyboard as well but don't want to end up with the same kind of action... what do you think ?

btw, the Mini looks awesome ! :thu:

Archived