April New Gear Thread

• Members

I just picked up Arturia's Analog factory experience.

It's a wonderful writing tool. Sounds great, it's wonderful for very quick and inspirational sounds, and it's 'tweakable' enough to keep me happy. If I want to nerd out, I got the Analog instrument (in Ableton Live Suite) which is quite good, and I got the Radias expansion on my M3.

Hopefully, my Apogee Ensemble interface arrives, and that will be followed directly with Logic Studio.

Here is a question for you out there who are familiar with mixing/mastering and effects:

Would you go with the UAD Xpander Xtreme or the TC Powercore? I will not make this decision until I have played around extensively with Logic Studio. I have yet to find a review, etc., or a comparison of Logic's built in plugins compared to Waves/UAD/TC... what appeals to me about the specialized companies for signal processing is the option of an outboard processor... I am really pushing my computer (I am running a MacBook Pro @ 2.2Ghz DuoCore w/4 gigs of ram), and I have to freeze tracks when running effects on certain sounds while writing (for example - having guitar tracks playing in Abelton with some verb/wierd effect + 10 other tracks, while you are jamming some synth solo running in Arturia). I'd rather not be constantly converting {censored} to audio as things change constantly... perhaps I'm just lazy.

My main desire - I want an outboard effects processor for my MacBook that operates via PCI. I need to free up the firewire for the interface and my high speed external drive (use for samples). My main concerns are EQ, reverb, delay, multiband compression, and compression/limiting.

As of now, I am leaning towards UAD as they have everything I want for approx 2K, but I really like some of the Powercore products as well. The waves option just seems too bloody expensive...

Sorry about the hijack!
-Phil

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Roland PK5.

Had weeerd dream the other night. I had long hair and glasses and played bass and sang about Ayn Rand with a screachy voice. Dream ended up in a vision of turning my DEVO into a Pseudo-Taurus. Woke up in a cold sweat.

I feel so ashamed.

• Members
Needed 2 boards for upcoming gigs, so I sold my Motif ES6 and turn it into this duo, which I should have by the end of this week:

jp-8000.jpg

snamm05_alesis_fusion6.jpg

+1 looking forward to them prophet-08 demos keybdwizrd
:thu:

Beautiful combo there.

My Fusion will start shipping mid-April, after I pay for it. It's on reserve . . .

• Members

Same dream for me every night: hot dogs chasing donuts through the Holland Tunnel.

No idea what it means.

You will embark on a trip to lower Manhattan, there, your conciousness will rise according to your LDL's.

Papaya King on 7th and 14th???

Guest Anonymous

Just ordered this from a local store. :thu:

p8mrackuc3.jpg

New rule of mine.

If it comes in a rack version thats what I will get.

• Members

My Electribe EA-1 and RM1X both arrived today, got the two of them for $200 from an impoverished student (hey that's what he wanted for them!). I figured that was too much of a bargain to pass up. Upgrading the D-70 will just have to wait another couple months.

Now I'm seriously going to get into hardware sequencing again.

Archived