Tech 21 Tri-AC or Tech 21 Double Drive 3X?

New Trail

• Members

I used to have the TriAC. I used it with my fender bassman50. I dont think it can be beat for versatility. Not having to tap dance to change between three sounds is also a plus. :thu:

The only reason I got rid of it is because I replaced the bassman with an amp with a gain channel. If I was still using a clean tube amp I would get the TriAC again most definitely.

• Members

I'd go with the Double Drive if you want to use it as a traditional stompbox or with the Tri-AC if you want a preamp.

I had the Tri-AC for a while and found it to be harsh and unnatural sound before the amp, but really good in the Effects Return of my amp.

• Members

What's the advantage of the Triac over the DD3X? I had never even heard of these pedals before but it seems like the latter is more feature laden for about the same price.

The Tri-AC has three selectable sounds that you can use. Then you can program that into the three channels. You can use the selectable sounds in any combination, and you don't have to use all three. You can use three different versions of one sound, or two versions of one sound and one other sound, etc. The Tri-Ac seems more versatile to me.

• Members

I own a TRIac, but I don't really use it anymore. I used to only have an acoustic amp and it was perfect for plugging my electric into and getting a good sound.

the pedal is great, but I only recommend it if you are using it with something similar

• Members

I've had the TRI-AC for a long time and really dig the California (Mesa) setting. The British (Marshall) is okay.

Never dug the Tweed (Fender) setting that much. I play through a DRRI - seems like overkill.

The TRI-AC is worth it for the California setting alone.

Archived