Is it possible to get a "Knob in a box"?

LR Weizel

• Members

I'm getting a Memory Boy soon and I really want to use the Chorus/Vibrato on it. This is no good if I can't change the rate. Using an EXP pedal seems kind of dumb, it makes the pedal effectively way bigger than it needs to be. My soldering/building skills aren't very good, so is there anwhere I could just get a knob attached to a 1/4" jack to shove into that slot?

• Members
Very doubtful.

The way they build these new pedals, all jacks are usually PCB mounted, which means the PCB would be in the way of the pot.

To save space, you could try the Devi Ever Peep plug.

He wants to build a box that has a male plug attached to the outside, and plug this male end into the expression jack. The box with the male end is just wired to a pot (knob) on the box.

Devi Ever made PEEPlugs for a little bit
peeplug.jpg

Instead of the Photo eye, the OP wants a knob. It could be done fairly easily, for sure. You just need a really little box.

• Members

The Peep wouldn't let me have it at an exact speed though, otherwise I'd use it.

Is there anyone I could "commission" one from? I think Devi was going to try to build one, she asked the same question a while back, but she doesn't do that kind of stuff any more....

• Members

He wants to build a box that has a male plug attached to the outside, and plug this male end into the expression jack. The box with the male end is just wired to a pot (knob) on the box.

Devi Ever made PEEPlugs for a little bit

Instead of the Photo eye, the OP wants a knob. It could be done fairly easily, for sure. You just need a really little box.

This is totally what i was thinking, would be pretty simple to make and just as effective as an exp pedal.

• Members

Actually. With a 1/4' plug like the peep plug, you could easily put a 9mm pot in there and add a knob.

But like NITEFLY182 said:

a pot attached directly to a jack wouldn't be any more useful than the knob already on the pedal and it would just swivel around while you try to change the setting.

• Members
Expensive, but maybe...

rampunit.jpg

http://tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Ramp

May or may not work. I suspect this will only function correctly with expression controllable pots that are ~100k. If that control on the EHX pedal is a higher value pot that might not do anything. Looks very nice though and I bet it works great with the three pedals they mention.

Archived