I've decided. I want an Emulator II.

r33k

• Members

emu_emulator2.jpg

Who wants to sell me one?

Obviously, practicality is not a consideration here, but visual, tactile and audible aesthetic is. It's one of those instruments that I drooled and lusted over in my early years and is featured prominently on many, many seminal albums that shaped my musical career. Now I can afford one. I have these fantasies of playing old school with it and sampling a bunch of {censored}, transposing it way out of range, putting it through the analog filter, running the outputs through tons of effects, etc. Nothing that couldn't be done easier and faster and higher quality with software, but remember that practicality is not the goal!

Any leads for me?

Thanks all!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Holy {censored}... nearly $10k! That does seem like a stupid amount of money. I'd be far happier with a $100 Roland S50 that actually worked :)

Incidentally, there's motherloads of 5.25" floppies on GayBay at any one time. No luck needed in finding a good supply.

• Members

Attention Dave Smith. A 21st century emulator = awesome.

Yes, I've been imagining this product for a long time. The Nord Wave actually comes pretty close, but it's virtual analog of course. I wanted a player's sampler. A performer's sampler. Ensoniq did their level best to do that in the EPS, etc. (After all, EPS stood for Ensoniq Performance Sampler.) It had some interesting realtime control possibilities, and was very popular (and I own a cherry mint one with original box, packing material, manuals and library) but for some reason it just doesn't inspire me to play it the way I would like. The {censored}ty keyboard is one reason, and the buggy OS is another, although for just calling up sounds and playing, it's not too bad.

• Members

I'd be far happier with a $100 Roland S50 that actually worked
:)

Incidentally, there's motherloads of 5.25" floppies on GayBay at any one time. No luck needed in finding a good supply.

S-50 for $100? It seemed only a couple of years ago I heard these were in still kind of high demand and fetching about $500 used. Since I have one in practically brand new condition, used very little, with the original box and packing material, plus the optional graphics tablet, I figured I should have no problem getting $500 for mine (might even throw in a free green phosphor monitor since the S-50 has a video output for great viewing, if I decide I don't need it for anything else). I hate to think they've devalued to $100. They're worth more than that just as a MIDI controller, especially since they have the Roland stick/wheel thing, which I prefer over a pitch or mod wheel.

As for 5.25" floppies, some of us have tons of those. No shortage if you know anybody who still has lots of old computer equipment. Now if you're looking for the older 8" floppies, you might have a problem.

• Members

The modern way (seems odd saying that in the context of an EMU-II!) of suing these machines is to hook it up to an old MAC and transfer the samples over SCSI via Sound Designer. Nobody really uses the floppy method nowadays I don't think...

A friend of mine got an EMU-II and this is how he uses it... he has every sample library ever created for it on about 5 CD-ROMs!

• Members

Good luck finding 5.25" floppies. Had a brand new EII when it came out, but don't miss it at all.

Yeah, I also bought one new when it came out, and I likewise don't miss it at all. Actually, I still think that buying the EII was a big waste of cash that I could have used for some more versatile gear. By today's standards, it's a very limited instrument.

• Members

Yeah, I also bought one new when it came out, and I likewise don't miss it at all. Actually, I still think that buying the EII was a big waste of cash that I could have used for some more versatile gear. By today's standards, it's a very limited instrument.

Well all of you are lucky to have had an EII. I bought an original EI, serial #62, for $6600 when they came out, and then had to pay extra for the multisample disk and a few sound disks to write over, because they wanted a lot of money for the formatting disk to format blank disks (yep, they tried to nickel and dime you to death on everything). Compared to the EI, the EII looked like a super advanced dream machine.

• Members

If you want that 'barebones' feel in a sampling workstation, the EPS and ASR-10 are really good options. As samplers go, they have an amazing workflow, and they're not buggy like the earlier Emulators.

Nice full sound too.

• Members

Few reasons why you should get the E-II:

...unless someone wrote software that emulates all these parameters which i highly doubt it will happen that soon.

I recently bought S-550 that features (almost analog sounding) resonant filters, 12bit engine, input limiter (compressor) giving it a signature sound no soft can copy. It is far from perfect sound of Akai MPC, but that's exactly why i bought it. Most importantly, it stands in the mix. It is easy to operate it - comes with a mouse, and video out is connected to tv card video input, so i run it on a computer screen in a separate window as it is a VSTi. Soft samplers today are too perfect!!! One who wants 1:1 exact copy from original might find this a good option, others who seek their own sound, avoid soft samplers and use stuff E-IIs, SP-12s, S-330s, etc... If you want a SOUND go with E-II without thinking.

• Members

If you want that 'barebones' feel in a sampling workstation, the EPS and ASR-10 are really good options. As samplers go, they have an amazing workflow, and they're not buggy like the earlier Emulators.

Nice full sound too.

That's what I was going to suggest. For sound and ease, I think it would be a good choice. But you usually can't buy something else when you truely have your heart set on something. So it must be nothing but the E2.

Archived