Waldorf MicroWave XT demos

MM420

• Members

Here are 3 different demos of the Waldorf XT.

These are made using the Nord Modular G2 as a sequencer.

Different sequence each time and different patch each time on the XT as well.

(I initialized the XT each time... made from scratch)

Demo #3 really shows how dirty and distorted the XT can get.

Please post comments and thanks for viewing.

Feel free to post other Waldorf or other synthesizer demos here as well.

th_MVI_2813.jpg

th_MVI_2814.jpg

About one minute into number 3 is "classic" XT sounds. Digital and harsh. Distorted and crazy. :)

th_MVI_2815.jpg

thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy.

Please comment.

• Members

thanks for posting these MM.

Have you experimented with the Randomizer function on the XT? (or Q+ for that matter)

I spend most of my time programming my synths to obtain unusual sounds and timbres, but Randomizer (especially repeated a couple of times on the same slot) just produces stuff that I would'nt begin to be able to achieve by programming.

It just throws all the parameters into haywire, surprisingly often producing extreemly interesting results. Sounds that are unconnected to the human mind or aesthetic- truly alien results.

:evil:

• Members

Nice!

Thanks.

maybe you can do some with that Q+

I have a demo of my Q Plus in piggy's "Andromeda does modular thread," I'll post it here as well. I promise to do more within the week. :) (with the Q+)

th_MVI_2799.jpg

You are welcome.

Have you experimented with the Randomizer function on the XT? (or Q+ for that matter)

Yes, I have messed with that alot. I have an entire memory card dedicated to ramdomized patches for my Q+. Very cool feature that every synth should have. I have also randomized random patches..... to multiple generations as well. It is sweet!

:wave:

• Members

I spend most of my time programming my synths to obtain unusual sounds and timbres, but Randomizer (especially repeated a couple of times on the same slot) just produces stuff that I would'nt begin to be able to achieve by programming.

It just throws all the parameters into haywire, surprisingly often producing extreemly interesting results. Sounds that are unconnected to the human mind or aesthetic- truly alien results.

:evil:

Definitely!

The software editor I use for my XT also has a "genetic" patch randomizer. It lets you select two pre existing patches to serve as the parents, and it spawns a bunch of offspring patches that randomly combine different elements of the parent patches. You can get some great stuff this way. :thu:

• Members

At one point, I had both the Q and XTK in my studio. I could only keep one, so I figured that the extra flexibility from a third oscillator outweighed the wavetable motion stuff. Naturally, I regretted selling the XTK and got a Fizmo, which helped a good deal. Getting (software) Massive and now Gladiator gave me even more wavetable jollies, so that the notion of picking up an XT/k again is remote to say the least.

• Members

At one point, I had both the Q and XTK in my studio. I could only keep one, so I figured that the extra flexibility from a third oscillator outweighed the wavetable motion stuff. Naturally, I regretted selling the XTK and got a Fizmo, which helped a good deal. Getting (software) Massive and now Gladiator gave me even more wavetable jollies, so that the notion of picking up an XT/k again is remote to say the least.

If you could choose only one based on sound alone: Massive or the XTk ?

• Members

If you could choose only one based on sound alone: Massive or the XTk ?

Looks like I already made the choice economically...but soundwise, the XT is more rawer (sic) whereas Massive, with its third oscillator and extensive matrix, can get more detailed in sound creation.

• Members

...but soundwise, the XT is more rawer (sic) whereas Massive, with its third oscillator and extensive matrix, can get more detailed in sound creation.

Massive sounds massive:

http://www.trippler.net/files/massive/massive4.mp3

The XT might still have some advantages soundwise and it is a hardware instrument with knobs. massive is an effective tool.

It would have taken me a multiple of time to make a demo like the one above with a hardware synth. Softsynths have that one big advantage, you pay one and get many:

http://www.trippler.net/files/massive/massive4.jpg ;)

• Members

xt has more character to my ears...

I tend to agree.

However, I also can get really creamy smooth slow morphing and evolving soft timbres from the XT...many folks don't realize its a pad monster not in spite of the wavetables but because of them! :love:

I'll have to post some demos at some point to provide some contrast. ;)

xt_bright.jpg

• Members

Perhaps I should Q BITCH the NEW BITCH.

Indeed sir, I think it is your obligation.

It's time to unleash the pig!

:cool:

Here's the Plus. (it all it's unmusical form)

th_MVI_2824.jpg

th_MVI_2825.jpg

th_MVI_2828.jpg

thanks.

• Members

Actually im not that new, ive been lurking for atleast a year and a half before i joined, i just dont post much.

The video just sounded so horrid that i felt compelled to post. I understand the XT is capable of making out of this world sounds, but i think many people would like to see a synth in action musically. Or the buid up of a sound that can be used musically.

Q bitch the New bitch...yikes...

• Members

nathanscribe asked:

I notice the XT comes with the wavetables from the original PPG synths, too. Does anybody have info on emulating/reconstructing the old PPG sounds on the XT?

The XT presets, (or some widely available user patches, can't remember), include some of the PPG sounds.

• Members

I notice the XT comes with the wavetables from the original PPG synths, too. Does anybody have info on emulating/reconstructing the old PPG sounds on the XT?

I have both, a PPG and the XTk. The XTk sounds more smooth and clean than the original. When you never played a PPG you probably will be just fine playing with the PPG wavetables.

I converted some sounds from Paul Maddox into the XT. I believe I got very close also it took me hours of work to do so.

Archived