Rat vs. Turbo rat vs. NYC big muff : where is the overlap in tone/range?

hangwire

• Members

Just listening to a live bedroom of yo la tengo's "cherry chapstick" and was noticing that when I had a rat or turbo Ray years ago, I couldn't get that slight fizz crackle rythym that song has.

I can get it with my slightly mod'd NYC big muff where I have a little clean blended in with the dirt

so it got me thinking about where these 3 pedals overlap in gain and tone?

More specifically if there was a continum of the three, where on each can you cop tone from the other?

• Members

Not too sure on the Rat, but I've had a Turbo Rat and NYC Muff at the same time and I found that they had enough differences to warrant having both, but the Rat can get quite fuzzy sounding, so there's just a tiny bit of overlap, but they're really two different sounding pedals. Rat and Big Muff are what a lot of people use as their high-gain pedals.

• Members

The sound you're hearing on Cherry Chapstick could be 2 Rats stacked. Or maybe he overloading the input of his amp with the 2 Rats or a Rat and something else?

There really isn't much overlap between the Muff and the regular Rat, IMO. I'm not too sure where the Turbo Rat stands as I have never owned one nor played one for very long.

• Members

muff + rat =
:love:

That used to be my favorite dirt selection... now I just use a Rat with a dimed clean boost in front of it and a compressor behind it. Gives me all the saturated distortion goodness I could ever possibly need. Though the sustain still doesn't match a Muff.

• Members

but between at least the rat and turbo rat, would you say that one starts at x% on the gain of the other, or am I all wrong and that they are 2 different beasts?

According to Proco it's a much more powerful version of the Rat. More gain on tap & higher output strength, and slightly scooped in the midrange; while retaining the basic voicing and filter control of the Rat.

Archived