Pickup Booster

JaredVR

• Members

Its a nice boost. The Resonance switch can help fatten up weak single coils. Doesnt seem to colour up the sound at all, at least for me.

I use it with my Tobias guitar. The active preamp system blew out recently so until I get some new stuff put in, Im running the Bartolini PU's straight from the volume knob right out of the guitar... so I needed to make up for the gain loss (the System 111 preamp added +16db).

The SD Booster's working great and it actually helped smooth the tone out a wee bit.

IMG_3818-1.jpg

• Members

This pedal doesnt really add much in the way of gain, its a super clean boost. But it also depends on the input gain stage on your amp. Every amp reacts a lil differently. I've run this through my entire collection of amps and even thru the '67 Princeton it retains total clear clarity.. Pushes a lil, but not into real overdrive. It's basically whatever your guitar sounds like, just louder..

& just for reference, amps I own/use:

'68 Bassman, '67 Princeton, 50's Supro, modded Classic 30, 2 channel Rectoverb, Rivera Quiana, 70's Acoustic 2-12 Combo, Carvin Quad X/tube 100 rack, Fender Blues Jr., plus a few various Marshalls and other toys...

• Members

howdy,!

so... since you say that's it's reactive, how does it work with your marshall(s) or your rivera's front end? i was thinking about getting it or the way huge angry troll since they both seem to be cut from the same cloth... but havent really found anyone that has either or talk about it... anyway, thanks...

eric

This pedal doesnt really add much in the way of gain, its a super clean boost. But it also depends on the input gain stage on your amp. Every amp reacts a lil differently. I've run this through my entire collection of amps and even thru the '67 Princeton it retains total clear clarity.. Pushes a lil, but not into real overdrive. It's basically whatever your guitar sounds like, just louder..

& just for reference, amps I own/use:

'68 Bassman, '67 Princeton, 50's Supro, modded Classic 30, 2 channel Rectoverb, Rivera Quiana, 70's Acoustic 2-12 Combo, Carvin Quad X/tube 100 rack, Fender Blues Jr., plus a few various Marshalls and other toys...

• Members

Theres quite a difference tho between the Angry Troll and the Pickup Booster. They put gain stages in the Troll so you can use it either as a clean boost all the way to a pretty gritty overdrive, plus it has a ridiculous +50db boost or something like that. I tried one through a couple of amps at a store near me, but didnt really dig it much, plus it wasnt what I needed.. I already have overdrive boxes. But it's still worth looking into, you may find it works for you.

The Duncan Booster pushed the JMP-45 and 800 pretty nicely. Added some warmth and if u set the Resonance switch right you can actually cut back some of the typical Marshall shrillness.

The Rivera has a ton of boost/gain features already, so I never really used this to boost my input for overdrive gain, only to bring my lower output guitars to match my louder ones when swapping live.

It gave a Bassman some grit tho, although I still had to pin the damn thing to earsplitting volumes.. that's why this stays in the studio. well, that and its a '68..

I will say tho, both pedals, when put in front of an already gritted up amp, can really make a glorious noise, so the real question is if you're gonna use it for clean. I wasn't as happy with the Troll clean as I am the Duncan.

• Members

I use a SD Pickup Booster when using my Mustang. The Mustang's pups just don't put much out. So I leave the resonance switch at zero. Then I just add a little boost. Maybe around 9 - 10 o'clock. At this setting, it just thickens things up a bit, without changing tone.

• Members

cool, thank you for the reply... sounds like the booster will work better for my application. take care...

eric

Theres quite a difference tho between the Angry Troll and the Pickup Booster. They put gain stages in the Troll so you can use it either as a clean boost all the way to a pretty gritty overdrive, plus it has a ridiculous +50db boost or something like that. I tried one through a couple of amps at a store near me, but didnt really dig it much, plus it wasnt what I needed.. I already have overdrive boxes. But it's still worth looking into, you may find it works for you.

The Duncan Booster pushed the JMP-45 and 800 pretty nicely. Added some warmth and if u set the Resonance switch right you can actually cut back some of the typical Marshall shrillness.

The Rivera has a ton of boost/gain features already, so I never really used this to boost my input for overdrive gain, only to bring my lower output guitars to match my louder ones when swapping live.

It gave a Bassman some grit tho, although I still had to pin the damn thing to earsplitting volumes.. that's why this stays in the studio. well, that and its a '68..

I will say tho, both pedals, when put in front of an already gritted up amp, can really make a glorious noise, so the real question is if you're gonna use it for clean. I wasn't as happy with the Troll clean as I am the Duncan.

Archived