Converting my 120v Electric Mistress & POG to 240v...

petejt

• Members

I'm getting sick of having separate (240Volt & 120Volt) power sources for some of my effect pedals, particularly my Deluxe Electric Mistress and POG.

If I could run them from a 240Volt AC source, like the rest of my pedals, that would be sweet :) .

But I am concerned that having anyone fiddle with the insides of two of my most beloved effect pedals, would wreck them or at least alter their sound....

Would converting them to 240V affect the tone of their circuits in any way? Or am I just being paranoid? :idk:

• Members

I have a hard time believing you run your pedals at 120v. . .

The Deluxe Electric Mistress has its own power cord that plugs into the wall, so of course it has its own internal transformer or whatever to convert the 120volts AC into DC.

You know what I mean. The pedals themselves run at 9v but they require a wall-wart to plug into a 120V source. I want to eliminate that part but because the units have their own power cord I need to get them converted.

• Members

Here's some more details:

Units that run on 9 volts DC, +ve barrel -ve centre polarity (all a-okay)

Roland FC-300 MIDI footcontroller

Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo

Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ

Boss DD20 delay

Units that require 18 volts DC, 500mA, -ve barrel +ve centre polarity

Electro Harmonix POG

(possibly) Electro Harmonix Flanger Hoax

Units that requires 120V AC due to hard-wired power cord

Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress

TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger

Sound Sculpture Switchblade8

The units in red are of highest concern, and are the ones I think will need conversion. I suspect too that the Mistress will have the same power requirements as the POG, when converted? (18v, reverse polarity)

• Members

The POG has its own adapter/wall wart, doesn't it? If so, you'll just need to buy the 240v equivalent adapter (EU18DC-500 or UK18DC-500).

The modern Deluxe Electric Mistress needs the EU24DC-100 or UK24DC-100 (24 volts DC, 100mA center positive) adapter. The old ones with the hardwired mains cable are trickier - those need some internal work, replacing the transformer (for 240v mains) or a rebuild to use a separate power supply/wall wart.

The TC SCF would need a replacement transformer as well - although that pedal is really crammed, so unless you can get the exact piece, it may not fit. It has a 15 volt regulator inside, so it could be reworked to use an 18vDC adapter.

/Andreas

• Members

The modern Deluxe Electric Mistress needs the EU24DC-100 or UK24DC-100 (24 volts DC, 100mA center positive) adapter. The old ones with the hardwired mains cable are trickier - those need some internal work, replacing the transformer (for 240v mains) or a rebuild to use a separate power supply/wall wart.

Yep, mine is the older one. Also it's the one I am most concerned about! It's my deserted island pedal....

I don't feel comfortable with having it re-built, hence this thread. Ideally I want to run all of the pedals from a DC Brick, although now I am starting to question if it can put out enough current for the EHx units, since the POG requires 500mA on its own.

I guess my only alternative is having the transformer replaced for 240V mains as you said? And then just have an extension lead to the powerboard with a power strip for the DC Brick, Mistress & Switchblade?

• Members

The DEM uses a 24vDC adapter, so although I'm not 100% on what DC voltage the older ones use inside, running it off a DC Brick probably isn't an option. It only has 9 and 18 volts DC outputs. I'd take the pedal to a tech and talk options - you can either have him replace the transformer for a 240v version (with the same output voltage etc as the one in there now), or have him take out the transformer/rectifier bit altogether, and fit a DC adapter jack instead (he'd need to figure out what DC voltage the voltage regulator is expecting to see - that info should be available in the schematic).

The POG could probably be run from one of the 18vDC outputs on the Brick, although you'd need to find out if the plug needs to be center negative or center positive, and if it needs a regular 2.1mm or 2.5mm plug. The polarity should be listed on the POG adapter, and you can try a regular Boss-style plug in the POG jack - if it doesn't fit, the jack is 2.5mm.

Keep in mind that this might not leave very much to other 18vDC pedals - the Brick has 625mA total available from those three jacks. But as the OE adapter is 500mA, the POG can not draw more than that (probably a bit less).

/Andreas

• Members

Hi Andreas,

Going by what you said about the current draw of the DC Brick and the POG, I'm starting to think now about not getting a DC Brick. What drew me to it was that I could run three 18V pedals as well as seven 9 volt pedals, meaning I could have just one mains power connection.

But if I am going to need a separate power strip and 'mains' connections to the 240V converted POG, Mistress, Flanger Hoax, and the Switchblade, then I may as well get a Korg Pitchblack tuner (which I had planned originally) and daisy-chain the remaining pedals to that for power.

Thanks for your help :thu:

Archived