Anyone Own A Moog FreqBox?

mikeoxlong

• Members

Is it worth the money? I am seriously considering one... I had a murf but found it incredibly unusable and impractical. Sounded awesome but was hard to incorporate. Any experience with the freqbox out there?

"everything seems to be up in the air at this point, i need something to change my mind"

• Members

I own one

I would say as a crazy distortion fuzz drone pedal its not quite worth it unless you get a great deal

however if you want it for that use and you own (analogue/cv controlled) synths and drum machines its well worth it there are so many things you can do with it including analogue fm synthesis, creating an extra osc, sync sounds, drum loop processing and so on

the possibilities are endless

I got mine fot

• Members

I think they're great, and have two of them in my rig. Many would find them 'incredible unusable and impractical', though in a different way than the Murf's.

What specifically are you looking to get out of the Freqbox, and in conjunction with what other gear?

I want crazy synth tones...but i find it to sound very fuzz like which is fine, but i have plenty of fuzz pedals... and the price tag is pretty hefty... I would probably also hook an expression pedal up to it and use it as a sort of synthy wah. i dunno just looking for something different, just worried it will end up impractical and costing too much like the murf.

• Members

I'm just tagging this thread, I'd like to see what people have to say. I would also like to have access to some synth sounds.

I've found the the Digitech Bass Synth Wah gives me a couple of good filtered fuzzy Bwaaaaaahhh type sounds. Though it's pretty limited. I like it better than the one made for guitar, even though I use it with a regular tuned Les Paul. It's a good poormans synth pedal.

• Members

I want crazy synth tones...but i find it to sound very fuzz like which is fine, but i have plenty of fuzz pedals... and the price tag is pretty hefty... I would probably also hook an expression pedal up to it and use it as a sort of synthy wah. i dunno just looking for something different, just worried it will end up impractical and costing too much like the murf.

The triangle and sawtooth waves will sound the least like a fuzz-- they have a disctinct feel to them, and the square/pulse waves are closer to what a gated fuzz can produce, but fatter and more controlled. It can definitely do some wild tones, though I used them a bit more conservatively playing bass- with a little work it gives me analog oscillators that track well (with no clean signal) to turn my instrument into a monosynth... can apply vibrato by modulating the 'Freq' input, PWM through the 'Wave' input, etc. For crazier stuff, the most videos seem to showcase, it sounds pretty damn good.. and can be completely controlled. So if thats your bag and want something different than a fuzz or oscillating fuzz or something, it might be pretty good. Or you might hate the size, bypass, powersupply.. I think they great, ymmv.

Just a note on tracking-- at least for bass, if you want a perfect tracking oscillator, a gated fuzz and/or buffered pedal pre-Freqbox helps, but the ideal method is an analog octaver 100% wet; set it -1oct and transpose your playing up an octave-- send that through an EQ (or a buffered pedal can help) cutting highs/boost lows; for guitar ranges, eq accordingly.. with clean playing the tracking is very good and throw a philosophers tone at the beginning for crazy sustain, and you have a solid base for making legit synth tones(and a huge pedalboard.. lol..). I don't feel limited by lack of polyphony as a bass player, but others may feel different in their quest for synth tones with a stringed instrument..

Archived