help out a noob: how many synths do you have and why?

• Members

Ensoniq Fizmo - - for dementia.

E-mu MP-7 w/Mo Phatt, Ensoniq ZR76, Proteus Pop & Protozoa ROMs - - To compose quickly and easily without a computer in just intoned user defined scales (don't ask).

Also makes a great groovebox.

Alesis Fusion 8HD - - (oh, ok, it

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Here's the main question: how many synths do you have? ...

..So, how many different formats (like LAS, FM, analog, etc) are there that i should learn about? which ones should i learn about?...

...Next up, can different digital synths generally get in the same ballpark? ...

Can most digital synths do the same kind of subtractive synthesis that analog synths did? ...

I have more than I use right now, and a fair amount of overlap. Don't really want to get rid of anything though. :confused:

synthetica named most of the current synthesis types on the first page. You probably should start with subtractive as it's the most common. Most synths use subtractive principles (filtering), with differences in oscillators. After subtractive, FM is pretty common. I like additive, but it's not real popular.

Different digital synths can get in the same ballpark depending on how picky you are and how good your ears are.

Sort of - but they sound different. Some digital stuff can get pretty close to analog, but there's lots more that digital stuff can do besides that.

• Members

I would say that analog synths sound better than digital VA everytime because of the former's random & unpredictable idiosyncrasies. Everytime you play a digital patch it sounds exactly the same as the last time. But digital synths come close and can do much more.

• Members
Everytime you play a digital patch it sounds exactly the same as the last time.

I beg to disagree. :)

Certain digital synths offer the potential for more variation between keypresses than analog ... if you take the responsibility of programming such behavior. Just trigger a random sample and hold circuit with keyboard gate into any parameter in your nord.... you will get all the change you want to dial in.

In the analog world, these behaviors come baked into the synth in certain proportions that become associated with the personality of the instrument. In the digital world supplying the personality is the artist's job.

• Members
I would say that analog synths sound better than digital VA everytime because of the former's random & unpredictable idiosyncrasies. Everytime you play a digital patch it sounds exactly the same as the last time. But digital synths come close and can do much more.

Ummm.....splain this:

Q.jpg

• Members
Look, I love digital. I'm just giving analog it's due.
:)

Ok, but thinking of digital as sterile and boring is so ... 80s. :p:)

In your Nord, a digital oscillator can generate different timbres, pitches and volumes each time you press a note. You can decide how different each keypress should be. :thu:

• Members

Analogue:

SH-101 (the sequencer is worth a couple hundred in it's self.

I kid you not, I sold my SH-101 to a Las Vegas pawn shop, for $30, back in 93'. Maybe, you have it! The only record of it is in my old videos, like

I like scoring indie movies, therefore, I used to have a lot of workstations and a few VAs. Even though some similar ground was covered by having multiple workstations from all of the "big 3", I was able to have enough instruments and polyphony (900 notes) to better simulate the Big Sound that a spread out orchestra pit - or having many instruments - provides.

Nowadays, I just use 2 synths:

Korg OASYS has many engines that can input modulate each other (3 VAs, FM monster synth, Physical Models of Organs/Guitar Strings, Wave Sequencing and enough ROM and sample libraries that really I haven't needed to use my other workstations). The 52 voice FM engine really elevated this synth, as it can cover many abilities of the SY77/99 synths, as well as load (from libraries on the internet) thousands of DX7 and TX816 sounds (easily replicated in Combi mode).

Virus TI. I don't "need" the TI, as I'm just really fond of it. I really like the saturated filter sound and it's a good backup, in case the main Axe ever goes to the shop.

Several of my older synths reside in a BACK ROOM, because I can't bring myself to sell the SY99 and a few others. In addition to those, my Roland Fantom is coming back to me. I composed enough songs on those units, that their sounds/files are vital enough to justify keeping them. (That is a big reason some people hold on to older units.)

• Members
But digital FM always goes back to a fixed wave. In the DX7's case, a sine wave in ROM. As opposed to a physical oscillator, which is imperfect, like any acoustic instrument.

Look, I love digital. I'm just giving analog it's due.
:)

Analog always goes back to a fixed wave too. It's just that the fixed wave has a bit more non-programmed randomness.
A slightly less precise fixed wave.
Waves are only a small part of the story, but I know what you're saying.

A6 and Q cover a lot of territory. :thu:

• Members

Nowadays, I just use the Korg OASYS and the Virus TI. The OASYS has many engines that can input modulate each other (3 VAs, FM monster synth, Physical Models of Organs/Guitar Strings, Wave Sequencing and enough ROM and sample libraries that really I haven't needed to use my other workstations).

I've still never even seen an Oasys - no stores anywhere around here carry them. Your description of it sounds interesting though.

About digital being sterile and having played notes sounding the same - I think that reputation came more from early sample playback machines than from FM.

There's certainly enough ways around it now though.

EDIT: even with early FM you could assign velocity to the modulators amplitudes to give each played note a different sound.

• Members
Analog always goes back to a fixed wave too. It's just that the fixed wave has a bit more non-programmed randomness.

A slightly less precise fixed wave.

Waves are only a small part of the story, but I know what you're saying.

A6 and Q cover a lot of territory.
:thu:

In fact they made a little blue baby chez moi:

Layercake.jpg

• Members

I've still never even seen an Oasys - no stores anywhere around here carry them. Your description of it sounds interesting though.

In Combi/Sequence modes, you can run any synth engine into the input of another (PolySix into and MS-20, for example). Also, samples and ROM waves can be used to "Excite" the String Model, as well as input into the FM synth, ala the SY99.

Links, if you're interested:

MP3 Sounds

Voice through the Bus System (Give it a minute to load)

• Members

Sorry for being snippy Birdie. :o

I just feel so sorry for those cute digital synths. Continuously reminded that while they may be cool .... they will never be "true" analog. :cry:

As if they wanted to be. :mad:

Is there a psychologist who specializes in synth related conditions? :lol:

• Members

I have
4 different Keyboard synths
2 Rack synths
2 Groveboxes
3 Drummachines

Synthwise i have (i think) a fairly broad spectrum, i have Analogue, DCO, Rompler and FM and additive digital.
I still need wavetable synthesis :D

The grooveboxes/drummachines provide a bunch of different drum sounds but are all digital.

I own them because i have always been fascinated by synths and the sounds they can make.
Strictly a hobby - basically collecting stuff i coveted in my youth :D

• Members

I'm really not the biggest fan analog sounds, and so far the Prophecy-section on the Trinity and the digital osc's and filters on the K2000, has been satisfying for me. The K2000 can actually make some fairly good analog basses, "dark" pads and effects - but it has an unpleasent tendency to produce digital noise, which is clearly audible on the higher notes.

PS: welcome, Publius.
:wave:

Thank you:)

• Members

I was talking about the inherent unpredictability of analog oscillators.

This is of course very interesting if you listen to music through an oscilloscope but i highly doubt that the fabled VCO slack/randomness is responsible for the qualities of analogue sound alone.

Bad/lacking filter modelling and different circuits/signal paths in the hardware are probably much more of an issue than the oscillators randomness.

My DW8000 sounds very alive to me, despite the fact that it does have completely digital oscillators.

Archived