the MicroKorg offers more wave forms than the R3 ?????

• Members

I'm currently comparing the R3 to MicroKorg to ensure that the R3 isn't missing anything important that microkorg (or micron) has... and on Korg's website, they say that OSC 1 on the microkorg offers 71 different wave forms (!) but the R3 only has 7 wave forms for OSC 1 (?!?!?!)

Is this worth being concerned about?

• Members

but the R3 only has 7 wave forms for OSC 1 (?!?!?!)

Is this worth being concerned about?

You've misinterpreted this. Manual - page 27. Waveforms:

Saw

Pulse

Triangle

Sine

Formant

DWGS

Audio In

That's a total of 7 choices. However, you use knob nr 4 to select all the DWGS waveforms - of which there are 64.

edit: I hereby would like to state that I'm disappointed with everyone's intelligence. OF COURSE THE R3 HAS DWGS. It's a feature they can throw in without having to reinvent the wheel, free added value. Same reason for why the Blofeld has wavetable oscillators and there's still M1 samples in a Triton.

• Members

Why not get the MS-2000? Aren't they about the same price on the secondhand market anyway? You get full size keys and better user interface (knobs) but lose the indie-OK factor.

Because the R3 has double the polyphony of the MS-2000, doesn't lose a timbre when using the vocoder, has formant data memory, better user interface (assignable knobs with feedback and descriptions), a software editor/librarian, and more virtual patches. filters, efx, etc.

Time has moved on. Radias & R3 are the replacements for the MS2K & MK.

• Members

...except the Radias (and R3) are rather anemic-sounding in comparison to the MS2K. Kind of thin and weedy. I was very disappointed.
:(

...except that you're completely wrong. You were obviously disappointed with the thin and weedy sound of whatever presets you happened to be using. If you programmed your own patches you would've realized that the Radias/R3 can easily do thicker patches than the MS2K. That's the problem with judging by the presets: you really have no idea what the engine sounds like until you get into the engine. Give me any patch settings for a MS2K program and I can create a better one on the R3, if you state the objectives of the final result.

• Members

Got it in one, dereksljuka.

I really wanted to like the Radias - and the R3. The R3 is at an even further disadvantage as its a subset of the Radias engine. :(

Despite its wonderful UI, I sold my R3 after about a solid month with it...its overall timbre was rather "anemic" compared to the MS2K IMO...I can't think of any other way to describe it. I'm not the only person to have noticed this timbral difference.

Shame about the MS2K's lack of poly...that is its real Achilles heel IMO though I know many weren't big fans of it anyway ;)

• Members

Got it in one, dereksljuka.

I
really
wanted to like the Radias - and the R3. The R3 is at an even further disadvantage as its a subset of the Radias engine.
:(

Despite its wonderful UI, I sold my R3 after about a solid month with it...its overall timbre was rather "anemic" compared to the MS2K IMO...I can't think of any other way to describe it. I'm not the only person to have noticed this timbral difference.

Shame about the MS2K's lack of poly...that is its real Achilles heel IMO though I know many weren't big fans of it anyway
;)

The R3 stereo 4-band fully parametric EQ as an MFX should solve any general FR curve issues. So to really discover the difference in timbres, the specific details of the programs are absolutely essential, since a single parameter could account for your perception. I have frequently found that the presets are designed to have some general uniformity of style of a limited number of programmers, but that "sound" is more of a reflection on the designer than the engine itself.

There are a number of powerful tricks you can do to essentially get "free" notes of polyphony using the DWGS endless wave and harmonics/subharmonics to fatten up the sound of a patch tremendously. Other techniques include an un-synced OSC2 with slight detuning, adding selective bandpass filtered noise, and using the Mod Sequencer to add harmonic note variations.

• Members

I didn't use presets. The Radias/R3 engine does have an overall timbre or "sound" whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Different synths have different characters...the differences aren't necessarily subtle, either. The Radias and R3 don't sound like a MS2K, except in passing - yes, you could program similar patches that would be close but you could do that with a SCI Pro-One and a Moog Prodigy too. :D

As an example, Korg has three completely independent VA engines in the Oasys that each have an overall "sound" that is very different to each other, even when using similar settings, parameters and modulation routing. Depending on the type of sound I want from the Oasys, I'll choose a particular engine for the job.

• Members

Not to change the subject or high jack the thread but can anyone give me some insite on how the R3 sounds compared to the Micron? I was thinking about switching until I read some of the comments on the R3.

Archived