What gear would you trade for a Hammond organ

• Members

Hey HC, I just finished responding to a post asking 'What the Hammond A100 was worth' NOTE: They sold it for $400.00 :confused::cry::confused::cry: and I could not help think:

MAN!!! Does this person know what they have and how many people would love to have a Hammond B3, C3 or A100?

So I pose the QUESTION, What gear of yours would you be willing to give up for a MINT Hammond B3, C3, or A100 with matching 2 speed 122/147/145 leslie? Of course it has to be as close to apples to apples you can get ($$$$), you can't give up your half working Korg DW8000 in trade for a Hammond B3/C3/A100. :cop:

And we are not talking about those Hammond spinets (L100, M3, H series, CV, BV, etc...) We talking top of the line B3/C3/A100 and Leslie speaker......

Just curious how many people out there desire the authentic Hammond/Leslie like I and many out there do.....

My ANSWER: I would be willing to give up my Roland Fantom X7 (w/ 3 SRX cards) and Korg Triton Extreme for a MINT B3/C3/A100 w/122

Caveat: I already have a A101 so I am off the hook Whewwww!!!:lol:

• Members

Allow me to turn the question around a bit...

If I had a minty fresh A100 kicking around the place it would be gathering dust and never being played so it would be in your best interests to take it off me ASAP before it dies of old age and not being used. I would accept the following instruments as suitable payment:

Yamaha DX5 / TX816 / CS70m

What would I give up to own one? As you may have gathered, precisely {censored} all, and certainly not any money! If it's gotta be Hammond, then it's gotta be the XK3. Not least because I can MOVE the {censored}er unassisted on and off stage ;)

• Members

I wouldnt want one...I had an L102 for 10+ years and while they are not in the league as far as sound goes....they are probably like any other old mechanical organ...heavy as all helll - so you aint gonna gig with it - and always breaking down....If I owned a recording studio then maybe....otherwise gimme a portable hammand that I can gig with - more gigable and more dependable....ok all you hammond lovers...tear me apart. :)

• Members

WOW!!!!!! Was it worth it to you??????

Sure! I have owned and gigged with Hammonds since the early 70s. Every Hammond I ever owned was a full sized console, but never the proverbial "living room B-3" that I have always wanted.

While they go for $10K and up at dealers, I paid less than $4k for this one. I still own a road B-3 as well (currently in a recording studio), and clones for casual gigging.

To the previous poster:

I agree that the spinet L-100 series doesn't hold up to a full sized console in terms of sound.

As to reliability: Hammonds are built on 70 year old technology, that is more reliable than could possibly be built today. It is a testament to that reliability that so many are still running.

You do have to overhaul them every 30 years or so. If you do that, they will be completely reliable.

Archived