Synths with arpeggiator MIDI OUT

• Members

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm frustrated by the fact that many of my boards/modules don't send the arps over MIDI OUT. How lame is that?

So far I tested the X-station, MicroKorg, JP-8000, Evolver (sequencer), Emax II, etc.

The only two that delivered were the older ones: JP-8000 and Emax II.

Are manufacturers now skipping this from the "design table" as a whole? Did they forget to include it? Is it just to save money? I think it stinks.:mad:

I read in a review that the MS-2000 has a similar problem. How many other boards suffer from this malady?

• Members

Are manufacturers now skipping this from the "design table" as a whole? Did they forget to include it? Is it just to save money? I think it stinks.
:mad:

I suppose that the manufacturers who implemented this feature were pissed by the endless support requests and rants from people who managed to build midi loops where the arpeggiated notes retriggered the internal arpeggiator again ;)

• Members

I suppose that the manufacturers who implemented this feature were pissed by the endless support requests and rants from people who managed to build midi loops where the arpeggiated notes retriggered the internal arpeggiator again
;)

Now you *really have touched on something that pisses me off - stuff that gets dumbed down for morons... Grrrrrr :mad:

• Members

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm frustrated by the fact that many of my boards/modules don't send the arps over MIDI OUT. How lame is that?

So far I tested the X-station, MicroKorg, JP-8000, Evolver (sequencer), Emax II, etc.

Evolver can send the sequence over MIDI (notes and velocity only). Sounds like you need an OS update :poke:

Motif family can transmit arps over MIDI

Radias can transmit arps and step sequences over MIDI (but not modulation sequences)

• Members

The Alesis Ion's arpeggiator transmits MIDI out....

Yeah, it's just that the arpeggiator sort of sucks :D.

How many other boards suffer from this malady?

Maybe the arpeggiator has to be switched on and sending on the right channel (or timbre), and maybe the user forgot this?

• Members

The only two that delivered were the older ones: JP-8000 and Emax II.

Are manufacturers now skipping this from the "design table" as a whole? Did they forget to include it? Is it just to save money? I think it stinks.
:mad:

I read in a review that the MS-2000 has a similar problem. How many other boards suffer from this malady?

X-Station does ... but you need to change the param in the arp menu ... :thu: it is set to 'off' by default and then you need to save the patch or it will revert ... a global command would have been better ...

• Members

Maybe the arpeggiator has to be switched on and sending on the right channel (or timbre), and maybe the user forgot this?

I assure you I didn't forget my settings.

It kinda sucks since I'm trying to load some basic arps into my QY-100 as MIDI clips, so I can make some cool music on-the-go at lunch time. I don't simulate arps very well by hand. :freak:

It's also cool to add arps to devices that never had it just for experimentation.

If everyone can put in their experience, I can compile a list of the units that can do this. I'm sure some would find it useful, especially as a potential factor in buying one of these units.

• Members

X-Station does ... but you need to change the param in the arp menu ...
:thu:
it is set to 'off' by default and then you need to save the patch or it will revert ... a global command would have been better ...

Thanks Diametro, that one did get by me.:cry:

• Members

My trusty old Roland U20 has a nice arp that transmits midi out. One of the reasons why I still use it. A neat trick is to hold down a chord for an arp then plug in a 1/4" jack into the pedal hold input - voila, latched arpeggiator! :cool:

Steve

Archived