Need a little help...hipsters especially.

CannedHeat

• Members

Well there are literally stereotypical groups of hipsters here at UT who will gladly tell people they are hipsters. It's like a superiority complex. In fact that's what I'll write my paper on, Do hipsters suffer from a superiority complex?

Thanks guys!

• Members

Well there are literally stereotypical groups of hipsters here at UT who will gladly tell people they are hipsters. It's like a superiority complex. In fact that's what I'll write my paper on, Do hipsters suffer from a superiority complex?

Thanks guys!

Question is: what stereotype exists, and how are you busting it? Hipsters don't have a definition outside the stereotype, so how will you write a paper busting stereotypes if you use those same stereotypes to establish the group?

You're probably going with it anyway, since it's probably something you have to turn in tomorrow. Just anticipating the problems others have also noted.

• Members

Now see the real irony here, is that you're hating on hipsters for hanging out with like minded people, and living their life how they want to. All the while, hanging out in your own exclusive group, you're just like them, replace those horn rimmed glasses with analog delay, and girl pants with secret lust for PRS guitars.

This forum and most of the people on it make me lol.

/.2

• Members

Now see the real irony here, is that you're hating on hipsters for hanging out with like minded people, and living their life how they want to. All the while, hanging out in your own exclusive group, you're just like them, replace those horn rimmed glasses with analog delay, and girl pants with
secret lust for PRS guitars

This forum and most of the people on it make me lol.

/.2

I was with you up until there, there is nothing on this earth I lust over less than PRS guitars, seriously.

• Members

Here's a serious idea:

Hipsters as the Anti-MetroSexual. In many ways they are a reaction against everything that the Metrosexual man of the late 90's early 00's was, but in some weird way in both trends there is some form of underlying acceptance of homosexuality. Not so much that Hipsters and "metrosexuals" were gay in any way, but the overt masculinity of both trends is somehow contradicted by the idea of homosexual overtones in both groups (think Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but also of all the manlove in the hipster scene).

Could be a really interesting comparison.

• Members

I have to write a research paper on a group of people and I chose hipsters. However, I'm having a hard time trying to find a research proposal that I could write five pages on. It needs to be a question and I collect the data through interviews and surveys, however I do not know which question to ask. Any suggestions?

First, what subject is it?

Archived