NAD Question (ebay'd silverface content)

smrz

• Members

WOO new amp!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230435439632&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

...but it clearly needs work. Volume is low (like a ~5 watt amp probably, not 12), and headroom is non-existent (breakup begins at around conversational volume with my ASAT). Given the listing, which just says it sounds great, can I really ask for money for repairs? I'm planning to recap and retube it myself (as well as adding a fuse and 3 prong plug), so it should be pretty cheap. I was thinking of asking for $20 for new power tubes and filter caps and then covering the rest of the cost myself.

Thoughts?

• Members

congrats/bummer

I think the listing is misleading if it's as bad as you say.

Could just be new tubes, could be a lot of stuff...

Email the seller and see if you can work something out

I agree, but the more I think about it, it's really just the popping where the ad is misleading, which is more likely just from caps. Maybe they like the sound with dying tubes...?

• Members

I have 2 musicmaster bass amps. One is the 1st year, and one is a mid 70's and has the later 6v6 power tubes. Mine are BOTH louder than my '65 Princeton to give you an idea of the volume it should have. New caps will bring back some of the power along with fresh tubes. Id also check the speaker with another (possibly from another combo/cab you might have) I bought an old amp once and the voice coil on the jensen was fried and it basically made next to no volume. Good luck. Theyre great amps when theyre up and running :)

• Members

This has been my luck buying vintage tube amps without trying them out, while some guy who never really plays it may think it sounds great, once you examin them, they often need much work.
Bought an old Ampeg (70s) a few months ago that was this way, the guy said it sounded amazing & there were no problems.
Once I got it, plugged it in & began to play, noise noise noise, not to mention for a 100w amp the headroom was non-existent. Distorted at ridiculously low volumes. Needless to say I no longer own the amp as I had already dropped $550 + shipping into it & was flat broke.
I now own a 68 Traynor that was owned by an amp tech that works flawlessly.
Good luck to ya man!

• Members

I need to figure out where to go for power tubes, because I have the older 6AQ5 version. NOS tubes are everywhere, but I don't really know what to look for--I'm a total NOS beginner, and I want to make sure to get the right stuff.

Archived