New Wah Day

warioblast

• Members

Roger Mayer 9090A wah kit, showed up this morning.

rmw1.jpg

rmw2.jpg

The previous owner cut the rubber stops so I kept on hitting the on/off switch :mad: The rotary switch gives 6 wah sweeps.

My first impressions:

It sounds like a cross between a vox / crybaby & a WH10. :eek: (as far as I remember the WH10 tone). Rather flat & dull on a clean sound, it gets better with dirty tones. The more trebly position has nice Jimmy Page vibes. :cool:

More on this later. :wave:

• Members

You should replace that plastic switch with a metal one. The plastic ones seem to break over time. I've learned this from experience. what kind of pot you got going on there? Maybe swap that out too. Just my 2 cents.
:thu:

It's a Bourns pot, I think it was sold with the kit.

My HBE wah has one too. D*A*M use them in their Colorsound clones.

WARMTHFUZZWAH2.jpg

• Members

Looks great! I like wah with alot of flexibility....I find that the Q of the mids is sometimes off, or that the sweep isn't to my liking. I'd done a bunch of mods to a Crybaby original reissue (buffer removal, installed a bunch of variable resistor pots for voicing and volume changes) and i'd found that even just adjusting the notch setting on the pot helped out alot to get it right at the point of not being icepicky in the mids, but also not dropping out in volume at the treadle's least amount of mids in the sweep.

• Members

Which inductor is splittable? I've never seen that before? The one in the dik looks like one of the inductor kits you can purchase and wind yourself or possible an arteffect or stuart caseldine inductor.

The inductor from the roger mayer kit. You can see 9 pins on the back of the pcb, top right of the picture. I was like "WTF !" when I first saw this.

• Members

So assuming it's a 500mh inductor you could split the inductor and get 250mh? That's what the old gray vox wahs that Page used had in them. What does it have for a Q resistor across the inductor? As those old voxes didn't have one. Is there 2 different coils inside the inductor then in series but you can break the series loop?

• Members

It has a 33k Q resistor.

Looking at the inductor, you can see 3 copper wires going to the 3 pins I circled in red.

rmwahpcb2.jpg

The 2 pins on the right are connected to the rotary switch and the other pin is connected to 1 side of the 33k resistor.

Here's the manual for the kit: http://www.roger-mayer.demon.co.uk/9090A%20Wah%20Kit%20Installation.pdf

• Members

Unfortunately I only have an old camera to make clips, it wouldn't do justice to the pedal.

It's confirmed, the pedal sounds like ass on a clean sound. :cry:

I wonder if Roger Mayer sells those inductor at retail. I really like to hear it in a wah with more vintage oriented parts.

Archived