Anyone else have love/hate relationships with their strats?

TheIncident

• Members

Yes. I don't really like how it sounds with dirt, and sometimes I find it "generic" sounding. But at the same time, I love how it sounds clean with some phaser and delay. Plus I always seem to find weird/trippy/awesome sounds when I play it. My Les Paul is my #1 guitar by a mile though.

• Members

I just re-set the action and it is a little better. I never get sick of the neck or neck/mid positions, they're perfect. It's just the bridge that gets to me, I've been through so many and mine now sounds great with fuzz, absolutely love it.

OD can just be :facepalm: sometime.

• Members
I always think that I really want or need one, until I get one. I've done this like 10 times.
:facepalm:

man, me too. Whenever I have one, I always like my Teles (and whatever other guitar I have at the time) better. I always cheap out when buying a Strat because I know it won't be my main axe ever. I always crave them when I don't have them around because, admittedly, I long to imitate [some] classic Strat sounds that a Tele or Jazzmaster won't get you. Lame, I know.

This round, I picked up one of those '50s Classic Vibes and I actually like it more than any Strat I've had yet. It sounds really good to me with fuzz pedals and lots of effects. I'm kind of hating how it looks, but I'm about to put a new pickguard on it. Maybe I'll be less likely to sell it for a loss then.

• Members

It is all very myopic isn't it? Strats are for cleans, pauls for dirts, although both can cover the middle ground. Personally I love sound and feel, brands and shapes don't mean much to me.

Edit for ambiguous drunkenness: it is to me a function of the right tools for the job. I can drive a nail with a wrench but it is not the best way to drive a nail.

Archived