DIY : problem adding a volume pot to a pedal

JMS 2

• Members

I am not an expert that much but wouldn't that work: take a pot then PCB OUT > lug 1, LUG 2 > Output (switch, output jack, wherever the pcb out would go), LUG 3 > Ground?

This is true. Try a 10k log or 100k log for the value.

Keep in mind this is only a passive trim setup. The volume knob setup this way will only be able to cut the volume, not boost, so unless the pedal is always too loud you will likely have it "turned up" all the way most of the time.

• Members

This is true. Try a 10k log or 100k log for the value.

Keep in mind this is only a passive trim setup. The volume knob setup this way will only be able to cut the volume, not boost, so unless the pedal is always too loud you will likely have it "turned up" all the way most of the time.

Wait. I was right? That never happened before. :eek:

• Members

Almost, if you want the volume to increase as you turn the pot clockwise (the usual convention), you have to wire it as: lug 3 connects to PCB output, lug 2 is your new output to the switch, and lug 1 goes to ground.

BTW, I'm counting lugs this way:

pots-f5.jpg

Your popping problem when engaging the switch comes from DC offsets between the switch's terminals. I recommend the "input grounded" bypass wiring, you can find it here:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/content/view/33/27/

Archived