Do I want a compressor pedal?

• Members

sorry but i gotta disagree with that nonsense..

a compressor CAN add noise to your signal if you are absolutely cranking it.. but my diamond adds absolutely NO noise to my signal..

now as far as "killing your dynamics" - refer to my above statement.

i find a small amount of compression does exactly what it's supposed to do - balance everything out.

it works fine with my od/distortion as well.

• Members
sorry but i gotta disagree with that nonsense..

a compressor
CAN
add noise to your signal if you are absolutely cranking it.. but my diamond adds absolutely NO noise to my signal..

now as far as "killing your dynamics" - refer to my above statement.

i find a small amount of compression does exactly what it's supposed to do - balance everything out.

it works fine with my od/distortion as well.

That's a diamond compressor though :wave:

Seeing this guys effects in his sig, he's probably gonna hit something cheaper than one of the best compressors on the market.

• Members

even if you've got a meager budget check out cmatmods & barber. i think the cmatmods basic comp doesn't get enough attention - it's fantastic

Couldn't agree more! I leave my Cmatmods 4knob SignaComp on all the time... and yes I play with high gain too....

Please don't waste your money on the cheapest compressors... save up a little more and get something like the Cmatmods... look for it used at TGP;)

• Members
That's a diamond compressor though
:wave:

Seeing this guys effects in his sig, he's probably gonna hit something cheaper than one of the best compressors on the market.

Well, I use a Boss CS-2 and I agree with Rob. It's really all in application.

I won't trash talk many effects out there because it's all in how you use them. Except for chorus....I can't stand chorus.

• Members

Couldn't agree more! I leave my Cmatmods 4knob SignaComp on all the time... and yes I play with high gain too....

Please don't waste your money on the cheapest compressors... save up a little more and get something like the Cmatmods... look for it used at TGP;)

Oh snap! it even comes in my favorite color:love:

I will definitely check that out.

• Members

I never understand people who say compression kills/squashes dynamics. It's a dynamic processor. Of course it CHANGES them.

I love my CS-2, clean or distorted doesn't matter. If I want more sustain, smoother attack and a smoother bass response, on it goes.

• Members

i've used compressors from various price ranges; budget pedals to high-end studio rack processors...

none of them ADD noise to your signal...

(unless you all-but max the level and compression at which point there may be some self-noise from the processor. it shouldn't be any worse than using an overdrive pedal though.)

if you already have a noisy rig, a compressor will increase the level, as it raises the noise floor... but even then, using sensible compression settings should still result in acceptable noise levels.

using a pedal compressor, i've never had to turn the compression up past halfway... with the pedals i've used, this gives all the dynamics control i wanted and didn't seem to noticeably affect the noise floor.

• Members

I don't own a compressor yet, but I have been research them pretty hard, because I am going to buy one really soon.

If I go the cheap route, the Guyatone ST-2 is probably what I'll get

If I go a bit more expensive, It will be the Homebrew Electronics CPR

There are a number of reviews in the review section of HC and some good demos on youtube.

• Members
I don't own a compressor yet, but I have been research them pretty hard, because I am going to buy one really soon.

If I go the cheap route, the Guyatone ST-2 is probably what I'll get

If I go a bit more expensive, It will be the Homebrew Electronics CPR

There are a number of reviews in the review section of HC and some good demos on youtube.

that's a good choice. :thu: it's pretty close in sound and function to a Barber Tonepress (except the Tonepress allows you to set the exact blend of direct to compressed signals, whereas the Guyatone gives just two options - 100% compressed signal, or 50/50 direct to compressed).
the only reason not to choose the Guyatone is if you use batteries to power your pedals - if you regularly have to take the base off, the rubber part will inevitably begin to wear away.

• Members

I think i do,but i don't know much about them other than making for a smoother spankier clean tone.Are they good for higher gain lead tone's too?

I only use compression with dirt when I'm using this pedal. The Dlx BMP Series/Parallel version allows you to put the Soul Preacher section in front of the BMP section for longer sustain. It's almost like using an eBow (slight exaggeration, but not too far off).

Otherwise, I don't really like using compressors with dirt pedals.

!Bnj2VKQ!2k~$(KGrHqYH-D4EttG8VHYlBLj+DyM

• Members
that's a good choice.
:thu:
it's pretty close in sound and function to a Barber Tonepress (except the Tonepress allows you to set the exact blend of direct to compressed signals, whereas the Guyatone gives just two options - 100% compressed signal, or 50/50 direct to compressed).

the only reason not to choose the Guyatone is if you use batteries to power your pedals - if you regularly have to take the base off, the rubber part will inevitably begin to wear away.

yup, no battery use here. i have the one spot, cheap and works like a charm.

i had never really looked at guyatone before searching for a compressor. they have some nice sounding pedals.

• Members
yup, no battery use here. i have the one spot, cheap and works like a charm.

i had never really looked at guyatone before searching for a compressor.
they have some nice sounding pedals.

I'm a big fan of their pedals. :thu:

Archived