ot: any Milwaukee Brewers fans? Carlos Gomez content:

hangwire

• Members
My username says my allegiance
:idk:

Yeah, I remember you... I was planning on trying to catch both the Indians and Tigers games on the road trip last year, but weather would not cooperate. Wanted to see old Tiger's ballpark before it was torn down...

• Members

fair enough... but baseball's smallest market team has a nice fanbase. the team has drawn 3 mil + a year the past 3 years.

I'm only {censored}ing with you. I think baseball has really blown it by not having some kind of salary cap that make things a bit more equitable. That's why football keeps growing. I'm a Yankees fan, but I wish other teams had more opportunities to be competitive. Would make the sport more interesting.

• Members

I'm only {censored}ing with you. I think baseball has really blown it by not having some kind of salary cap that make things a bit more equitable. That's why football keeps growing. I'm a Yankees fan, but I wish other teams had more opportunities to be competitive. Would make the sport more interesting.

I agree with salary cap... I think $110-115 mil cap and all but 5 teams are effected

I was a Yankee fan [grew up in Trenton NJ] back in the lean 80s-1995 when I moved...

• Members

As a Twins fan I used to think a salary cap is the answer, but it isn't. The answer is a salary floor. Teams like the Yankees should be able to spend as much as they want because they generate cash not only for their team but also for the rest of the league. The Yankees send cash to teams via revenue sharing and those teams do nothing with it. The teams claim to use it to "develop players" but insiders from multiple teams have confirmed that owners just sit on the money and some may even pocket it.

For years the Twins didn't spend any money despite having the richest owner in baseball. The guy was a dirt bag and didn't even want to own the team (tried selling it to someone who was going to move it to NC, then later tried to sell it to MLB so that they could eliminate the team). Now the team is finally spending some cash and looks to have a really solid team this year.

As long as there is revenue sharing, there needs to be a salary floor. It is a joke that there are teams like Florida that spend basically nothing despite getting money from the MLB and teams like the Yankees. They got about 45 mil last year and their payroll was just over $36 mil. In 2006 they only spent $15 mil.

• Members

As a Twins fan I used to think a salary cap is the answer, but it isn't. The answer is a salary floor. Teams like the Yankees should be able to spend as much as they want because they generate cash not only for their team but also for the rest of the league. The Yankees send cash to teams via revenue sharing and those teams do nothing with it. The teams claim to use it to "develop players" but insiders from multiple teams have confirmed that owners just sit on the money and some may even pocket it.

For years the Twins didn't spend any money despite having the richest owner in baseball. The guy was a dirt bag and didn't even want to own the team (tried selling it to someone who was going to move it to NC, then later tried to sell it to MLB so that they could eliminate the team). Now the team is finally spending some cash and looks to have a really solid team this year.

As long as there is revenue sharing, there needs to be a salary floor. It is a joke that there are teams like Florida that spend basically nothing despite getting money from the MLB and teams like the Yankees. They got about 45 mil last year and their payroll was just over $36 mil. In 2006 they only spent $15 mil.

good point, but I think a top ceiling also helps with this issue to stop the scott boras effect

• Members

I just wish Selig would step down. The guy is dumb and doesn't want to move the sport forward at all.

Apparently they are talking about moving Boston to a new division so that the other teams in the east have a better chance to win. That will be one of the worst moves in the history of the sport.

• Members
I just wish Selig would step down. The guy is dumb and doesn't want to move the sport forward at all.

Apparently they are talking about moving Boston to a new division so that the other teams in the east have a better chance to win. That will be one of the worst moves in the history of the sport.

I heard the dumbest thing about MLB on ESPN radio as I was driving this week, that teams each year, could opt out of their division and move into a weaker one if they wanted to, on like an annual basis:facepalm::facepalm:

Seems like really clueless leadership to me. Fine to come up with some "out of there" ideas, but to make them public, is just :facepalm:

• Members

I wished I lived somewhere closer to games, NYC is 4 hours away. Toronto and Cleveland are almost as close, Philly too. Just too damn far away when I can watch it at home I guess. And I don't have to spend $20 for a beer and a dog.

• Members

I wished I lived somewhere closer to games, NYC is 4 hours away. Toronto and Cleveland are almost as close, Philly too. Just too damn far away when I can watch it at home I guess. And I don't have to spend $20 for a beer and a dog.

The nice thing about Miller Park is you can bring in some items. I don't know what the extent of the rules are... But I never get hassled bringing in a footlong from Subway and bottled water. Beers are $6. Less than that after you get to know some of the vendors.

• Members

I haven't been to a game since summer of '02 when I went to Fenway. I used to go to a game a year in Milwaukee (at the old park there) when I lived right off of 94 just south of the WI/IL border. I miss baseball, but it just doesn't do it for me like it did when I was a kid, probably because I understand it better now and understand how poorly the sport is run. I am going to try and go to a minor league game or two this season since they play just a few minutes away from me. Maybe that will get my interest back where it once was.

Archived