What was that crazy new sound editting program called...

cobalt-60

• Members

...that could take a single recording of multiple sounds (as in a band) and split the instruments up and edit them? Say a monophonic, one channel recording of a band, it could split the drums, bass, and guitar into their own channels, then edit them individually note by note. Say the bassist's A string was flat, it could tune it back into place, or remove it completely, and not affect the other instruments. It could also provide sheet music for the whole performance.

I heard about it a year ago, and never followed up on it. There was a demo on youtube with Steve Jobs in it, and they edit an old Jazz recording. It was pretty mind blowing.

I wanted to show a friend it, and also see if I could get it to work on my PC.

• Members

just a heads up, from the celemony FAQ:
"Is it possible using Melodyne to extract individual instruments from a mix?

No. Our Direct Note Access technology isolates polyphonic notes by pitch, not by instruments. If two instruments are playing the same note at the same time, you will see one blob only that includes the sound of both instruments."

• Members

No. Our Direct Note Access technology isolates polyphonic notes by pitch, not by instruments. If two instruments are playing the same note at the same time, you will see one blob only that includes the sound of both instruments."

What about drums? Could you isolate them? Or any other instrument not playing the same notes as the others?

• Members

Ahhhh. Nvm.

Melodyne won't do that - allow you to extract individual tracks from a stereo or mono mix - but it will allow ou to adjust tuning on a polyphonic track. Autotune will only work on a monophonic track, such as a bass or a lead vocal. Melodyne DNA will allow you to tune your G string, or take a mono track with three background vocalists (alto, soprano and tenor) recorded on it, and separately adjust the tuning of each individual singer's part.

I am not aware of any commercially available program that will allow you to extract all the individual instruments from a mono or stereo mix... but that is coming eventually. It's just a matter of time...

Archived