Fizmo on E-Bay

augerinn

• Members

...things like the Variphrase... Not worth the effort!

:confused: Do you mean the Fizmo is too specialized and fussy to learn, like Roland's Variphrase? :confused:

Really, it's a very knobby synth, it's made to tweak. Much more intuitive than my old DX7II . . . a lot of evolving sounds, which was the whole point of it, I think, with the transwaves.

• Members

Ever since I heard a yahoo Fizmo egroups sound clipof this thing I've been amazed. I have a Fiz, but didn't know it had the potential to sound super punchy and squishy. Nothing like it. I just want a proper editor, being that I never dive into the hidden parameters. It sounds like liquid.

Liquid MaaaagMa... (pinky to lower lip)

• Members

:confused:
Do you mean the Fizmo is too specialized and fussy to learn, like Roland's Variphrase?
:confused:

No I mean it sucks like the variphrase and sold less units...:facepalm: That synth was a complete failure... But if you like it cool- music is music.

They built them because they thought there would be more of you... There weren't :cry:

hehehehe.

• Members

No I mean it sucks like the variphrase and sold less units...
:facepalm:
That synth was a complete failure... But if you like it cool- music is music.

They built them because they thought there would be more of you... There weren't
:cry:

hehehehe.

Not trying to argue with you, but there's better explanations for the Fizmo's failure in the marketplace than "it sucked". Here is an excerpt from an interview with Scott Peer, who worked for Ensoniq on the MR/ZR-76, ASR-X and Fizmo synth engines:

- - What do you think were the reasons for it not being very popular? "Fizmo Bashing" is evident on synth review archive sites.

"I think the main reasons behind the Fizmo-bashing are two-fold: [1] For some reason, the message about it not being a virtual analog synth wasn't related well enough, and when customers tried it out, they couldn't find the TB-303 patch or the "Jump" patch. [2] I think the factory set of presets is a bit too "evolutionary" in nature. What I mean by this is that I have seen the typical way people normally try out sounds on a keyboard in a music store. They have one hand on the Preset button, and the other on the keyboard. If the sound they select doesn't hit home within 1-2 notes, they hit Preset. This method, of course, doesn't let the dynamic, synthetic, transwave technology be heard in Fizmo. Try selecting sounds this way - I think you'll agree. "

The whole interview, from Tape Op magazine, can be found here: http://www.tapeop.com/magazine/bonuspdfs/fizmo.pdf

Also, there were some problems with some units with the voltage regulator, causing occasional fried Fizmos. I had mine checked out, it's okey dokey . . . Carbon111 has a great page on the problem: http://www.carbon111.com/fizmo.html

Guest Anonymous

The catch is if Ensoniq had put presets in the Fizmo that appealed to the masses then the Fizmo might not have fizzed out.

I'd still like to have a Fizmo Rack.

bec332ac3d.jpg

Archived