Amp problems

Califa

• Members

I was intending to make a thread about my clean channel crackling for no apparent reason, but today I came hope after dinner to find that my Reverberocket head simply won't work. I turn it on, but the front light doesn't come on.

You can hear it hum, but nothing else happens. All of this is pretty worrying and I was wondering if maybe, just maybe, there might be an easy (if any) solution for this issue...

And yes, it is connected.

• Members

If the pilot light doesn't even come on, that issue is that power isn't even getting to the amp. Could be a bad solder joint connected to the power input jack, or as said above, blown fuse or bad power outlet in your house.

Not sure on the crackling though.

• Members

So I took the head to the other side of my room and still nothing. I took it to a local electronics shop to switch the voltage when I got it a few months back. Ever since the power jack has been a bit wobbly. I'll take it down there tomorrow to see what's up.

• Members

Same thing happened when a power tube shorted in my Hiwatt... the pilot would come on but I just got a hum from the speakers, even with nothing plugged into the front.

Almost a horror scenario here--i'd got an old Fender 140 many years ago, and it had some older Groove Tubes in it. Anyways, the center piece that would slot into the tube socket had broke off before i'd got the amp, and being as new as I was to tube amps, i'd put it in any old which way. Needless to say, i'd put it in the wrong way and it roasted the fuse. Thankfully, that was all that was done--new fuse and all was good to go.

• Members

So today I came home to find my amp in full working condition, so I did not take it to the electronics store. However, several hours later (now), it has stopped working again. It's an Ampeg Reverberocket head. What could be wrong and then not wrong and then wrong again?

Also, my Peppermint Fuzz has taken the plunge as well. It simply won't work. I tried several different batteries and messed around with the bias trimpot.

Archived