How many ebay high priced deals do not execute ?

gilwe

• Members

especially in buy it now auctions, you get a high percentage of bidders who press the button without reading the terms. so i agree, lots of people using paypal with unconfirmed addresses, international bidders with no concept of shipping costs (ebays shipping calculators often no good for international), etc. ebays our last resort for selling gear at this point.

mini

• Members

My favorite. Auction reads "Will ship to US only"

You'll get seventeen emails asking if you ship to FRANCE. Will you ship to FRANCE?

I don't know, moron, is FRANCE a city in Iowa?

It's hard to tell which of the overseas stuff is fraudulent, and I have absolutely no idea what my rights are in that case. Further, shipping makes the item cost well more than it's worth new -- so in that case I can't expect they really have a valid reason for wanting the item.

Craigslist can work if it's in your area but you would think everyone would want to come over for demos, and I don't really like doing that.

• Members

...I don't know, moron, is FRANCE a city in Iowa?...

No, but Paris is. :D

I don't sell on eBay much anymore, but I buy there frequently.

No major problems, but I agree it's a risk everytime you use it.

eBay as a company (along with their PayPal subsidiary) are NOT interested in resolving issues, only running along with anyone still feeling lucky enough to roll the dice with them...

That's what you get when you're that big with no real competition, I guess...

• Members

eBay as a company (along with their PayPal subsidiary) are NOT interested in resolving issues, only running along with anyone still feeling lucky enough to roll the dice with them...

Completely true.

I've sold stuff on forums before, and had people ask if I would list on eBay so they would get buyer protection. I'm too polite to point out how naive they apparently are.

Tip: when selling on eBay, there's an often-overlooked option to add further "buyer requirements". That cuts down on some of the BS, at least. Use it!

• Members

My favorite. Auction reads "Will ship to US only"

You'll get seventeen emails asking if you ship to FRANCE. Will you ship to FRANCE?

I do this.... :facepalm:

But I take the viewpoint that I am in a location with a lack of good gear, and some stuff is near impossible to find locally. Trying to find my Akai Z4 or Eventide Eclipse locally was just a no go, so I asked the sellers of both of them if they would ship outside the US. Both were easy, smooth deals.

I can see why people put US only, but some of us live in a not so crash hot market for used gear.

So if I really want a piece of kit, I'll ask the seller anyway, you don't ask, you don't find out, and the seller doesn't have to reply.

• Members

I've sold stuff on forums before, and had people ask if I would list on eBay so they would get buyer protection. I'm too polite to point out how naive they apparently are.

Not necessarily. If you do NOT receive the item and the seller has no tracking, they refund your money no problem (depending on the amount of buyer coverage). If you do it right, in that case, it works fine.

If you get a box and its got broken glass in it- then you are screwed if the seller has tracking.

If you use paypal and pay with your credit card, your credit card company can reverse the charge, again if you do it right.

Ebay rules. It has its issues but its a phenomenal marketplace regardless.

I have 97 feedbacks at 100%. I use it often. Just got a 192 a/d card for 550 and they sell for 800- 900 all the time... Plus paypal keeps giving me 10% off coupons up to 100 bucks- FOR NO SPECIFIC REASON.

If you know your stuff, ebay is great but like ANY used marketplace "buyer beware".

• Members

...If you use paypal and pay with your credit card, your credit card company can reverse the charge, again if you do it right...

...And sometimes buyers use that loophole to screw sellers...PayPal doesn't ask before taking that money back out - that's exactly why my PayPal account is a dedicated one...There's never any money in it unless I'm buying something, and deposits are immediately transfered to another account.

• Members

...And sometimes buyers use that loophole to screw sellers...PayPal doesn't ask before taking that money back out - that's exactly why my PayPal account is a dedicated one...There's never any money in it unless I'm buying something, and deposits are immediately transfered to another account.

Totally true. And I had a seller whos email malfunctioned ( no question it really did ) and after 5 emails I filed a claim. They pulled back 3 grand! I felt bad because it was a 50 dollar issue- not 3000.

Though the ebay email got to his store account and he contacted me and everything was perfect. Had the seller not been out of the country, communication would have been easier with an issue involved. But I did think it was AWESOME that they pulled the money back. Overseas transaction etc.

The seller was very honest (the mics are incredible and truly mint- an ebay rarity) and had 100% feedback- no issues, and they STILL took the money back. It resolved the day I filed so even though it put him out, it was still the way to go to be safe.

And funny, he was angry at first cause he never saw any emails and thought I jumped the gun. 2 weeks later he emailed me that his account password had become inactive and one of the email accounts wasn't being sent to his mailbox. He all the sudden had 85 emails that day... But after that he apologized again.

So its UNQUESTIONABLY safer to use paypal than not. And it was a direct deposit from my bank account- I NEVER use a credit card.

Archived