Guyatone ST-2 Compressor.

amarr1

• Members

I had one a while ago, pretty decent overall. It will boost the signal for sure. It will also add some noise like most compressors. I would check out the Visual Sound compressor too, I thought that one was quite good.

• Members

I had one a while ago, pretty decent overall. It will boost the signal for sure. It will also add some noise like most compressors. I would check out the Visual Sound compressor too, I thought that one was quite good.

Thanks, I want to try the Visual Sound one too, the tone knob is a great feature. I'd prefer a subtler compressor (looking for something similiar compression wise to the Tube Comp on the M9/13). Does it do that sort of thing nicely?

• Members

I would say the VS may be what you're after then, it's also a good booster, without too much compression if you dial it in that way. It's been a while since I used it. I haven't had a compressor on my board in a while, just felt like it wasn't necessary.

• Members

I would say the VS may be what you're after then, it's also a good booster, without too much compression if you dial it in that way. It's been a while since I used it. I haven't had a compressor on my board in a while, just felt like it wasn't necessary.

Thanks IRG, I'll check one out. I've found it really cleans things up nicely and tightens my overall sound.

• Members

I used to have the Guyatone ST-2 and really liked it.

I didn't have any problem with it being noisy at all; with most comps things only really get noisy when you crank up the sustain - which I never do as it sounds weird.

(FWIW compressors don't really 'add' noise anyway, they merely boost the noise that is already there.)

The 'Direct' switch is a really useful addition - it gives a 50/50 mix of direct/compressed signals so you can get the extra sustain of the compression, but also retain a more natural attack to your notes.

• Members

I've had many compressors...most recently the Visual Sound Comp 66 and the ST-2. I stayed with the ST-2 because it offered a bit more squash than the 66. Both are great...best I've used to date. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The direct switch is a nice feature, but it is very subtle. The tone on the 66 is a great feature as well. Both have great buffers, no tone suck, and both have a good amount of boost if you like...I personally never boost with a compressor...just don't like it. The 66 is a big, solid, heavy build...takes up much more real estate than the ST-2. Some folks are leery about the Guyatone build, but I'm not hard on my pedals...I think it's built fine.

I kept the ST-2...just liked it a touch more, but it was a really close call. You can't go wrong with either.

The ST-2 came with a faulty footswitch. I shipped it back to Kevin at Godlyke, paid 5 bucks for shipping, and he had it back to me in no time working perfectly. Good service.

• Members
Thanks, I want to try the Visual Sound one too, the tone knob is a great feature. I'd prefer a subtler compressor (looking for something similiar compression wise to the Tube Comp on the M9/13). Does it do that sort of thing nicely?

Yes, Mine is great. I have it first in line on the board. It can be subtle ala funk or make your Guitar sing. Also a great volume boost!:thu:

Archived