OT: Some good books to read?

frankiej

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this would be perfect for you.

gravitys-rainbow.jpg

I thought of this one early on too, but the OP did say he's trying to get into reading for the first time. I loved it, but wouldn't recommend it as a "just jumping in" book. Great recommendation, though!

• Members

Is this a good place to start with Pynchon?

This is actually the only one I've read by him for now. If you feel ready for it, I'd say it is. You sort of have to push on... It's pretty challenging but very rewarding and entertaining IMO.

I've heard from friends that The Crying of Lot 49 is a good place to start. Haven't read it yet, but I'd really like to. Maybe start with that one?

• Members

Is this a good place to start with Pynchon?

No. While all of Pynchon's is extremely well written and top notch stuff, Gravity's Rainbow is long and can be a difficult read if you're not accustomed to stream of consciousness writing like that. I'd start with V or Crying of Lot 49.

• Members
No. While all of Pynchon's is extremely well written and top notch stuff, Gravity's Rainbow is long and can be a difficult read if you're not accustomed to stream of consciousness writing like that. I'd start with V or Crying of Lot 49.

I already read a lot so I'm going to take that as a challenge and buy Gravity's Rainbow this week :lol:

• Members

I already read a
lot
so I'm going to take that as a challenge and buy Gravity's Rainbow this week
:lol:

Good luck! It took me forever, but I'm a slow reader and its hard to read stuff for pleasure when you're taking a bunch of lit class in college at the same time. Definitely enjoy it!

• Members
I already read a
lot
so I'm going to take that as a challenge and buy Gravity's Rainbow this week
:lol:

Very good! As Dark said, it's a very funny and rewarding read. If you find you like it, I can't recommend David Foster Wallace enough. Infinite Jest is quite truly a masterpiece. If you really want a challenge, take both on this summer!

Infinite_jest_cover.jpg

• Members

Very good! As Dark said, it's a very funny and rewarding read. If you find you like it, I can't recommend David Foster Wallace enough. Infinite Jest is quite truly a masterpiece. If you really want a challenge, take both on this summer!

Infinite_jest_cover.jpg

I'm gonna take this advice :thu: Thanks!

• Members

I thought of this one early on too, but the OP did say he's trying to get into reading for the first time. I loved it, but wouldn't recommend it as a "just jumping in" book. Great recommendation, though!

I think Frank is in college so while he said he wasn't an avid reader he's obviously had to read a good bit. I recommended it more for content than anything though. Whenever I was reading his initial post it was the first book that came to mind.

Fatso,

As others have stated it isn't the easiest read but I've read some of your work and I'm fairly sure you can handle it. It couldn't hurt to read V first though.

• Members

I think Frank is in college so while he said he wasn't an avid reader he's obviously had to read a good bit. I recommended it more for content than anything though. Whenever I was reading his initial post it was the first book that came to mind.

Fatso,

As others have stated it isn't the easiest read but I've read some of your work and I'm fairly sure you can handle it. It couldn't hurt to read V first though.

Ahh excellent! I don't know most people here personally yet, so I was a bit worried. Sounds great, go for it!

• Members

Infinite_jest_cover.jpg

Beautiful book. Thanks for the Gravity's Rainbow recommendation too!

• Members
Beautiful book. Thanks for the Gravity's Rainbow recommendation too!

No problem. If anyone here likes the Pynchon/Wallace style but can't quite handle the stream of consciousness I can't recommend Don DeLillo enough. White Noise and American and fantastic starters, and Underworld is an absolute masterpiece.

pwzbcheea887dfa5ekjmt70k_400.jpg

americana.large.jpg

• Members
This is sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read.

I'd suggest this:

2249-1.jpg

And I'm planning to read this next:

devil-white-city.jpg

Edit:

Yeah... +1

House of Leaves is so worth your time. What an incredible piece of work. I finished it about a month and a half ago, and it still haunts me to the point of wanting to dive into it again.

Survivor was great. Choke and Lullaby were my favorites. Fight club was excellent.

And Devil in the White City is probably the best historical non-fiction book I've read. Very entertaining, engaging, and educational. It makes you forget you're reading history.

• Members

Great stuff in here but wtf really? Am I the only one that digs John Irving? If you haven't read his stuff it is right up your collective alleys, based on what has been posted.

Also big ups for Dostoevsky, I was going to recommend Crime and Punishment but I figured everyone had read it in high school.

• Members

Great stuff in here but wtf really? Am I the only one that digs John Irving? If you haven't read his stuff it is right up your collective alleys, based on what has been posted.

Also big ups for Dostoevsky, I was going to recommend Crime and Punishment but I figured everyone had read it in high school.

Notes From The Underground. {censored} yes. Son.

Archived