So I got myself a brand spanking new Macbook Pro

p00n

• Members

vlc - video viewer.

firefox / chrome - browser

Lightroom 3 - photo editer (just released, i had the beta. {censored} is amazing)

pages

adium - multi chat client. no video feed yet

snes9x

visualboyadvance

transmission - best torrent client

flickr uploadr - great tool for flickr

tweet deck - great multi platform for facebook, twitter, and other social networks

caffine - allows you to keep your computer awake. it is much easier than the other ways. highly recommend this one

onyx - osx clean up program - about once a month you use this.

theunarchiver - (sp?) great program for unzipping. quick quick quick.

steam for games - if you have a new mbp you'll be able to play the games flawlessly

darwine - use for running .exe's for prgrams. like a password generator or w/e

• Members

my mac rules. try running windows on a mac. smooth. try running osx on a pc. clunky as {censored}. wanna use logic pro on your windows machine? lol

i use traktor pro. try using traktor on a windows machine. lol

• Members

I prefer using Firefox on both Macs and Windows.

I've heard Azureus is a good torrent client.

Azureus is absolute {censored}, it eats of resources and its very slow

take it from someone who is one many strict private trackers.

almost ever private torrent tracker has banned its use.

you want to use Transmission on the mac is lightweight and very fast and efficient.

• Members
Firefox, Chrome (figure out which you like more, I like chrome), Clean my Mac, Appzapper, MacFlac(if you need to convert flac files), Steam if you want to game, VLC (will play just about any video file).

so you know while Clean My Mac is a great app if you are running logic studio, everytime you run clean my mac you will have to rescan all your audio units which is a bitch is you have 500+ of them ;)

• Members
http://www.amazon.com/UL30A-A2-Light-13-3-Inch-Silver-Laptop/dp/B002P3KMNU

?

+

buy an ipod and still have some left over.

don't know if this one has firewire, but the older ones do..

:idk:

intel graphics sucks so hard its not even funny, even for average users and Nvidia or ATI chipset is far superior even if they aren't dedicated GPUs

• Members

Anyone use Parallels? It looks too way good to be true. I'd be shocked if it weren't glitchy as hell or rape your virtual memory

they latest version of parallels is pretty kickass and functions as advertised. I used it for a while until I got rid of my bootcamp partition cause STEAM FOR MAC lol

• Members

Anyone use Parallels? It looks too way good to be true. I'd be shocked if it weren't glitchy as hell or rape your virtual memory

I run parallels, and find that it works GREAT! I've had my macbook pro (13", 2.26 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 160GB HD) and use parallels to run 7 or XP the same time as OSx. no glitches whatsoever! There's settings in parallels to control the amount of memory for OSx and whichever virtual machine you're running, so it really works out very nicely. I've had no compatibility issues with any software/games/hardware when using windows with parallels. It's really the best of both worlds, and many say that an Apple computer runs Windows better than any Dell/Asus/HP/toshiba/etc. Highly suggest that! IMO, definitely worth the $80 (orrrrr.....$0).

And about the torrents, I use uTorrent with TPB and that works out very nicely as well! I'm an IT guy at my university and with freshman orientations happening every week, I spend a great deal of time explaining why a Macbook is a smart investment. Shoot me a PM if you have more questions about Parallels or anything else!

• Members

intel graphics sucks so hard its not even funny, even for average users and Nvidia or ATI chipset is far superior even if they aren't dedicated GPUs

yeah that and the fact that the processor doesnt come near comparing to the ones in the MBP...not buying that that asus will perform NEARLY as well as a MBP

• Members

Perian plugin for Quicktime will change your life.

Safari 5 (with Reader) is amazing.

- With the Glims & GlimmerBlocker plugins it is a monster.

!!! BetterTouchTool!!!! Best system plugin I have ever had. Take FULL advantage of your multitouch trackpad. Mice seem so archaic after using this thing. With my custom gestures I can:

- Close Windows

- Quit Programs

- Open Finder

- Open Dashboard

- Switch between tabs in my browsers

- Instantly scroll to the top/bottom of a web page

- Switch between apps

- Switch between documents in a single app

- And those are just the global settings. I have a bunch more app-specific ones. This plugin will change your life and it's FREE! No torrents or hacks or anything! I cannot recommend this highly enough!

ANYONE show me a Windows machine that can replicate the usefulness of my Multitouch trackpad with BTT. Anyone. I dare you.

• Members

Azureus is absolute {censored}, it eats of resources and its very slow

take it from someone who is one many strict private trackers.

almost ever private torrent tracker has banned its use.

you want to use Transmission on the mac is lightweight and very fast and efficient.

Good to know! :thu:

Archived