So I got myself a brand spanking new Macbook Pro

p00n

• Members

Essential software to check out? Are you guys using Safari? I've always been a firefox guy. Oh and what do you use for torrent?

I'm thinking of Boot Camping my drive for Windows 7 or XP just for mac incompatible software, should I do it as early as possible or can it be done anytime?

• Members

Trendy!

You should probably do the "should have gotten a windows pc" mod to it. Since you just overpaid about 1k+ for the same hardware as any windows computer...

I highly doubt you could get a windows computer for $200.

Find me a windows based laptop with firewire and similar specs + an ipod classic + a free pos HP printer for $1200

Goddamn 3 posts in and the haters start crawling out of the woodwork

• Members
I highly doubt you could get a windows computer for $200.

Find me a windows based laptop with firewire and similar specs + an ipod classic + a free pos HP printer for $1200

Goddamn 3 posts in and the haters start crawling out of the woodwork

http://www.amazon.com/UL30A-A2-Light-13-3-Inch-Silver-Laptop/dp/B002P3KMNU

?

+

buy an ipod and still have some left over.

don't know if this one has firewire, but the older ones do..

:idk:

• Members

New MBP here too. Firefox w/ XMarks and LastPass - that way my bookmarks and passwords transparently sync with my Windows PC at work.

Check out Steam for games. Transmission for torrents. Handbrake for ripping DVD's.

• Members

oh for {censored}s sake, just shut the {censored} up. OSX is not windows. Thats why I personally {censored}ing like it. I love apples hardware. The unibody metal case feels solid, the screen looks far nicer than most other laptops ive seen, and it runs god damn Logic which I use and love and can't use on windows.

haters, just shut the {censored} up.

• Members

oh for {censored}s sake, just shut the {censored} up. OSX is not windows. Thats why I personally {censored}ing like it. I love apples hardware. The unibody metal case feels solid, the screen looks far nicer than most other laptops ive seen, and it runs god damn Logic which I use and love and can't use on windows.

haters, just shut the {censored} up.

I think moccasin wearing guy is a pretty cool guy. eh likes logic and doesn't afraid of anything.

• Members
Nice
:thu:
. I really wanted one but in the end couldn't justify the price given my current financial situation. Ended up walking out with a Acer D260 netbook for 1/3 of the cost that does everything I wanted (net, word processing).

Thanks! I've been in the market for a new laptop for a while, and when the educational discount came along with a bundle of free stuff, I just couldn't resist.

The main selling point of the Mac series was the firewire ports and the general stability of the OS since I'd be doing some basic recording and maybe running some virtual instruments off a MIDI keyboard.

Doesn't hurt that it looks pretty damn badass too :thu:

• Members

Congrats man! I just got one too! I went with the 13" 2.4, 4 gigs of ram model. I installed firefox, reaper (recording), and thats about it so far. Digging this thing though!

Yup got that exact same model too! Just booted it up and checking out the wonderful new world of mac

• Members

Yup got that exact same model too! Just booted it up and checking out the wonderful new world of mac

Nice man! Yea, it's my first Mac and I'm loving it. I've always built my own but I was hard pressed to find locally, a computer with these hardware specs and this battery life. Kinda nice!

• Members

Anyone use Parallels? It looks too way good to be true. I'd be shocked if it weren't glitchy as hell or rape your virtual memory

It's easy to bootcamp it. I have mine done for when I wanted to play Halo, I'm gonna undo it one of these days. It's cool that you can remove the partition without reformatting the whole drive.

• Members

Trendy!

You should probably do the "should have gotten a windows pc" mod to it. Since you just overpaid about 1k+ for the same hardware as any windows computer...

not taking a dig at you (judging from your posts, you seem to be a little salty for some reason), but i dont know anyone who has owned a fully functional Windows PC for more than 5 years.

A while back (i think this was '01), my sister won an iMac from a contest at our mall. We had that thing running for almost 10 years before it was deemed 100% obsolete. It still works, but it can no longer keep up with the way the internet is anymore. Consumers dont just pay for the brand and the aesthetic, but Macs are not designed to collapse the way Windows computers are.

thats just my experience dude, im no computer whiz.

• Members

Apple makes their money convincing people they want the newest one. Companies building windows computers make their money building hunks of {censored} that die in 2 years so you have to replace it.

My family has had two computers that the power input cracked off the PCB. It's a known and obvious flaw, and yet it doesn't get fixed. This issue simply isn't possible with the magsafe.

• Members

not taking a dig at you (judging from your posts, you seem to be a little salty for some reason), but i dont know anyone who has owned a fully functional Windows PC for more than 5 years.

A while back (i think this was '01), my sister won an iMac from a contest at our mall. We had that thing running for almost 10 years before it was deemed 100% obsolete. It still works, but it can no longer keep up with the way the internet is anymore. Consumers dont just pay for the brand and the aesthetic, but Macs are not designed to collapse the way Windows computers are.

thats just my experience dude, im no computer whiz.

True. My gf had a mac laptop for 5 years during university. Replaced it with an ASUS EEEPC that's pretty much dead after 18m. PC's have a habit of becoming slow and bloated as time goes on that a mac doesn't.

• Members

Essential software to check out? Are you guys using Safari? I've always been a firefox guy. Oh and what do you use for torrent?

I'm thinking of Boot Camping my drive for Windows 7 or XP just for mac incompatible software, should I do it as early as possible or can it be done anytime?

I like firefox, that's what I use (I also like that I can use the same hot keys here that I use on a Windows machine).

Seashore is nice software, kinda like paint with more options, check it out.

The best torrent client, imo, is Transmission.

Adium is cool for instant messaging.

Archived