Any of you folks use a Dyno-My-Piano Tri-Stereo Chorus? or Rhodes?

petejt

• Members

The Dyno-My-Piano Tri-Stereo Chorus (& Songbird, Dyntronics), was made to complement and enhance the tone of electric pianos, particularly the Fender Rhodes. Chuck Monte of Dyno-My-Piano modified and fixed Rhodes & other electric pianos to improve their sound, and essentially made them more cooler :cool: .

Also a bit cheesey I'll admit :facepalm: , lol. Well maybe not his fault, but the people who used them in cheesey ways.

Anyway, does anyone here use a Tri-Stereo Chorus with their keyboard rig? Or a Rhodes piano? Or both?

image145b.jpg

• Members

The Tri Stereo Chorus {produced under how many names? There's Dyno, Songbird and at least one more, I think} is a rare bird with a price tag to match. The closest I've come to it, at least on paper, is the TC 1210, which I'd buy in a heartbeat if someone would sell me one, and the Roland Dimension D, which is fanbloodytastic on synths.

• Members

Dyno-My-Piano are the company behind the Tri-Stereo Chorus.

They were released in slightly different chassis & graphic designs throughout the late 1970s & 1980s, as shown by the names.

First Dyno-My-Piano, with the flying piano keys graphic.

Then Dytronics, with the thunderbolt graphic.

Then Songbird- with the bird graphic.

The actual circuitry inside & functions are identical to each version.

• Members

The closest I've come to it, at least on paper, is the TC 1210, which I'd buy in a heartbeat if someone would sell me one, and the Roland Dimension D, which is fanbloodytastic on synths.

I've read that the TC Electronic 1210 is more "hi-fi" sounding compared to the Tri-Stereo Chorus, which has a warmer sound.

I can attest to that as my TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger pedal is very hi-fi sounding, compared to my other chorus & flanger pedals.

I'd love to hear the Roland Dimension D!

• Members

The tri-stereo chorus is a different topology than the 1210. The 1210 uses two delay lines, each with their own LFO. From what I've read, the Dimension boxes are similar. The tri-stereo chorus uses three delay lines, each with multiple LFOs for complex modulation. Line6 has a model of the tri-stereo.

There are other models with similar topology, from an old Looper's Delight post:

">Wanna know a dirty little secret? The best stereo chorus and ensemble

>effects use a triple delay configuration. These include the coveted

>phaser/chorus/ensemble in the ARP/Solina String Ensemble/SE-IV, the Korg

>Trident, the ARP Omni/Omni II, and the original analog chorus pedal, the

>Boss CE-1. Well looky here, this little gem [the Korg SDD-3300] can do that.

• Members

The tri-stereo chorus is a different topology than the 1210. The 1210 uses two delay lines, each with their own LFO. From what I've read, the Dimension boxes are similar.

The Dimension D does have two independent Matsu{censored}a BBDs, augmented by a clever signal path {compansion, EQ, mixing wet and dry signals} for a warm, full sound. Sound files can be heard in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There are emulations of it in the modern modular Eventides.

This is a tangent, but I don't know how much conversation is left to wring from the Tri-Chorus.

How close do you reckon you can get to the units discussed in this thread with the H8000fw? I have this possibly quixotic notion that the H8000fw might be all one needs for time-based and some spectral effects and audio interface and conversion duties, if one already has a good mixer and outboard. Am I hoping for too much?

• Members

I have this possibly quixotic notion that the H8000fw might be all one needs for time-based and some spectral effects
and
audio interface and conversion duties, if one already has a good mixer and outboard. Am I hoping for too much?

I think so. I say this because I once thought that too, and I spent the coin to find out my thoughts were not correct. :facepalm:

As an audio effects device and low-level modular programming environment, it excels. Truly, the sound is nothing less than world-class (contrast your own Eclipse against other effects), and the possibilities are - well, it's low-level modular in architecture - I need not say more on that.

As it concerns I/O and routing - using it as the centerpiece of a studio is, how shall I say - fiddly as fuck? I much prefer and value the use of a Metric Halo 2882 + patchbay, or equivalent, in that role.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Hi there. I'm a Dyno-My Piano Rhodes collector and I happen to be a chorus freak as well... I have a Dyno-My Piano Tri Stereo Chorus 618,a TC Electronics TC1210 Spatial Expander/Stereo Chorus and a Roland SDD-320 Dimension D in my collection... Among the ten Rhodes pianos I have in my collection I have two Dyno-My Piano modified Rhodes pianos... One is Mark II Stage 73 with the Dyno-My Piano Pro Piano pre amp which adds the famopus bell tone to the piano and it also has a Tri Stereo Tremolo which is an advanced ping-pong stereo vibrato. The other piano is a Mark I Stage 73 with the very rare Percussion Pedal and Tri stereo tremolo.

I've added a few pics...

Dyno-My Piano Rhodes Mark II Stage 73 with Dyno-My Piano Tri Stereo Chorus 618 on top

Dyno-My Piano Rhodes Mark I Stage 73 with Percussion Pedal underneath

If you want to listen to my Tri Stereo Chorus with my Rhodes go to http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/dyno.php.

• Members

I played Dyno My pianos back in the day when they were new.

You seem obsessed with them!
;)

I'm definitely infatuated with chorus :love:

A lot of good posts here! Thank you! :) It'll take me a bit to reply to them, but I will.

• Members

Hi there. I'm a Dyno-My Piano Rhodes collector and I happen to be a chorus freak as well... I have a Dyno-My Piano Tri Stereo Chorus 618,a TC Electronics TC1210 Spatial Expander/Stereo Chorus and a Roland SDD-320 Dimension D in my collection... Among the ten Rhodes pianos I have in my collection I have two Dyno-My Piano modified Rhodes pianos... One is Mark II Stage 73 with the Dyno-My Piano Pro Piano pre amp which adds the famopus bell tone to the piano and it also has a Tri Stereo Tremolo which is an advanced ping-pong stereo vibrato. The other piano is a Mark I Stage 73 with the very rare Percussion Pedal and Tri stereo tremolo.

I've added a few pics...

If you want to listen to my Tri Stereo Chorus with my Rhodes go to

Thanks for those links!

I know that Dyno-My-Piano closed down since the Fender Rhodes was discontinued. But I still don't understand why they couldn't have kept on building and selling their Tri-Stereo Chorus, since guitar musicians were using them so much?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived