BOSS GT-10, with 4 cable method

Acshreds

• Members

Hey guys have any of you ever used a GT-10 with an amp using the 4 cable method. Ive been thinking about getting one, using it for fx only and maybe some of the ODs if their any good, and still use my Mark IV for all of the actual tones. I figured i could get one and the voodoo lab control switcher and use the GT-10's midi to change the channels on my amp too. What do you guys think? Also does anyone know if i can still use the solo function on the GT if im not actually using a built in preamp, can it still make my amp louder?

• Members

If you just want it for effects, look at the line 6 M13. You can still use the 4 cable method, and the effects are reportedly better, especially the overdrives.

the thing about the M13 i dont like is that you can only have 1 effect from each block on at a time on each scene. I like to have multiple effects running at once which is why im looking to use the GT-10 or even a PODX3 live.

• Members

the thing about the M13 i dont like is that you can only have 1 effect from each block on at a time on each scene. I like to have multiple effects running at once which is why im looking to use the GT-10 or even a PODX3 live.

that's 4 fx at a time. And they can be 4 of anything.

4 delays if you want or 2 filters, a modulation and a OD etc etc.

• Members

better yet if you want effects only why don't you get a rack unit? I mean you are looking to drop big money...why not right?

well the thing is im looking for an all in one kinda unit. If i went rack id have to buy the processor, and a midi footswitch plus the control switcher which would run me more than just the cost of a GT-10 and the amp switcher. On top of that i cant think of any processors that also have built in ODs other than the digitech GSP1101.

• Members

Well to be honest, I wouldn't use any OD's with a Mrak IV, I mean you have three channels with independant eq's for a reason right? I never used a boost or OD with my old dual recto head for that sole reason....

I don't think you'll be happy with the OD's on a GT10 to be honest. Just my 2cents

• Members

Well to be honest, I wouldn't use any OD's with a Mrak IV, I mean you have three channels with independant eq's for a reason right? I never used a boost or OD with my old dual recto head for that sole reason....

I don't think you'll be happy with the OD's on a GT10 to be honest. Just my 2cents

+1. Line 6 OD's and Amp models are leagues better.

• Members

so you think i should go with a PODX3 live instead of a GT-10 for this situation?

If you were going to be just using it for recording I would say go with the X3 as it's great for recording direct. However, seeing as how you're using your Mesa, and will not be using amp modeling, you'd probably be a lot better off with a M13. Running an amp modeler w/ cabinet and mic placement modeling into a real amp doesn't sound horrible, but it doesn't sound great either.

However if you do go for an X3, you can bypass the amp models entirely, but at that point you may as well just get the M13 as it gives you greater flexibility. With the X3's you can only run only certain type of effect at a time, i.e. one delay, 1 modulation, etc. But with the M13, you can run 4 delays at once if you want.

• Members

yeah but for some tones i like to have more than just 4 effects. like for my lead tone i like to have a delay, compressor, reverb, chorus, OD, and then kick on my wah in addition to all those things.

Delay, comp, reverb, chorus, and OD... I'm totally intrigued by your lead tone. Got any clips we can hear? Do you compress before delay and then dump the delay into the reverb?

• Members

Delay, comp, reverb, chorus, and OD... I'm totally intrigued by your lead tone. Got any clips we can hear? Do you compress before delay and then dump the delay into the reverb?

well i dont use them all in that order haha. right now with my pedal setup i have wah, compressor, and OD going into the front of the amp and in the loop i have my chorus, reverb, and delay and i keep the time based effects at the end of the loop signal chain.

i recorded this with a PODX3 live and it had all those things mentioned turned on at once.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived