SOT: Tele Deluxe's, and Pickups.

• Members

So, I have a RI '72 Tele Deluxe, and I'm really unhappy with the pickups but being the wide-ranging buckers they're bigger than regular humbuckers leaving issues with replacing them. I've been looking around for solutions to the issue, and it seems most people add mounting rings inside the guard routing, but that's not something I'd really like to do. Instead, I've been considering a Warmoth guard to replace it, cut for regular humbuckers. Would this work out? I'm mostly asking due to the Warmoth disclaimer that their guards are not meant to retrofit any guitars. I'm relatively certain that is simply a legal statement, but I'm curious if anyone's used one of their guards like this?

Which leads to another question. I'm considering P90's as replacements, as I'm looking for something smooth, with nicer, warmer cleans and more balanced highs and lows. What would you guys recommend looking at as far as pickups go? What would work best with the alder body of the Tele?

Thanks for any and all help.

tl;dr: warmoth guard work? pickup suggestions?

• Members
  • Members

have you changed the pots to 500k ones? that makes a world of difference.

They come with 500k pots stock, replace them with 1MEG pots like the original Deluxe's, you can send your pickups to Novak and he'll rewind them to vintage spescs including CuNiFe pole pieces for $140 a piece.

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/repairs/WRHB-ri/

WD Music will do a $10 upcharge to route the pickguard for regular humbuckers instead HRHB's

http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_te_2600.html

• Members

i have the tele custom version, with 1 wide range humbucker.

ive recently been speaking to bare knuckle pickups and they do the spacing big enough (53mm) to fit in that space.

i am going to be getting them sorted out in the next month aswell, seem like a bunch of good guys

Archived