A big part of being a grownup is...

companyman

• Members

Is being able to admit when you are wrong. I love my Epi Firebird VII as I have gushed over and over...however I espoused a disdain for the Maestro tailpiece for reasons of sketchy tuning. Subsequently I immediately took it to a luthier and had him drill holes for a stoptail and pull the Maestro off. After the recent vintage "63 Firebird VII thread, it got me to thinking that I really didn't give it a fair chance, just an afternoon of playing it after I bought it, the guitar was in dire need of a setup irregardless of the tailpiece, and I assumed that the tuning and action stuff was mostly the Maestro.

Sooo...today I decided to put the Maestro back on for a while, I pulled the stoptail bolts out and pulled the tailpiece off, I left the threads in the holes, in case I return to stoptail . I put the Maestro back on after I gave it a rubbing compound treatment to remove most of the gold on the hardware, I had done this to all of the other hardware previously, I hate gold on hardware! It came out like an antique-kinda look, not quite gold, not quite chrome, somewhere in between.

after playing with it and stretching the new strings out well, I have decide the Maestro is a huge part of the Firebird's sound, it changes the general tone of the guitar, it adds a ringing airiness to the sound that was missing with the stoptail, maybe not a better sound, but a different equally interesting sound. Of course the tuning issue isn't nearly as bad as I assumed that it was...:facepalm:

I must admit, I really like the look of the Maestro too, sooo slick. I was watching the Reality Tour vid and was admiring the SG with the Maestro this morning too....yeah, yeah, I know....CSB.

003-1-1.jpg

004-2-1.jpg

here is a new guitar family shot, with the Terada Dove .

001-2-2.jpg

I'm Afraid of Americans......

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

:rawk:

• Members

I understand it is the nature of your job, all good........I was concerned the action might be messed up after I did this, but it is pretty much the same as it was with the stoptail.....I noticed the Bigsby on your SG the other night, very nice!

• Members

I love and want that firebird

yeah mang, me too....keep an eye on ebay, they pop up pretty regularly...prices are inconsistant, some have gone for upwards of $650, some around $350, depends...you usually see the metallic red ones, the burst not as much.

• Members

sure would like an authentic '63 FBVII some day.......can't hurt to dream.

I saw the Firebird referred to as an "angry Tele" on another forum, pretty much nails it, though it can get much woodier tones on the neck pickup I think.

Archived