Are 8 True Bypass Pedals too much to put into a signal chain w/o a LOOPER???

• Members

I was thinking about getting a true bypass looper with my new effects line. It along with all the extra cables needed to run the pedals through it, the addition can become pretty costly! The pedals are on order but I do not have them all here yet to hear for myself..and I would hate for them to arrive and my signal be all jacked up, then have to wait a couple more weeks to use them live..

so here are the pedals...they are all small 'standard' sized..

w/ BBE Supa Charger power supply

If anyone knows of a specific one of these pedals that create tone suck or signal noise??

I haven't read any bad reviews except on for the occasional 'popping' on the PitchBlack..but apparently this isn't in all PB's..so that's luck of the draw I guess. Any knowledge or advise is greatly appreciated. Other than that what are your thoughts??

• Members

When running all true bypass pedals, it is cable length that sucks tone. Using low capacitance cable helps on longer runs. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are running over 50ft of cable.

New info..the MXR boost and MXR blue box aren't true bypass. Any change of opinion??

• Members

That isn't "8 true bypass pedals' anyway.

MXR, Arion...

The chorus is actually a Deltalab.

And I wasn't sure if MXR was or not I bought them used. I haven't heard any complaints of MXR..do you know of any problems with them??

I figured since the MXR Boost/Line Driver is a buffer it wouldn't affect the signal if it's not TB

• Members

nice..lol will do.

we practice virtually as loud as a show so I should know by this weekend!!

..but don't expect there to be no difference at all... if you want some kind of 'pure tone' use a short lead and go straight into your amp, adding 8 boxes of electronics into your audio signal between your guitar and amp and an extra 15 or 20 foot of cables will make a difference, even if it is slight.

• Members

I'm with Melx on not worrying. I've never had an MXR, but if they use buffers then that should help your signal if anything.

When running all true bypass pedals, it is cable length that sucks tone. Using low capacitance cable helps on longer runs. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are running over 50ft of cable.

I'd respectfully disagree with this. The more components your signal goes through, the more the high end is likely to suffer. This is why it's good to have at least one buffered pedal in your chain, to boost/preserve the highs. But yeah, tons of cable is when noise will become more of an issue.

• Members

..but don't expect there to be no difference at all... if you want some kind of 'pure tone' use a short lead and go straight into your amp, adding 8 boxes of electronics into your audio signal between your guitar and amp and an extra 15 or 20 foot of cables will make a difference, even if it is slight.

+1. Also, give the new set up some time. If you expect to hear a difference, your brain may magnify the slight difference. Just play. If it becomes a noticable problem over time, then come back here.

• Members

I'd respectfully disagree with this. The more components your signal goes through, the more the high end is likely to suffer. This is why it's good to have at least one buffered pedal in your chain, to boost/preserve the highs. But yeah, tons of cable is when noise will become more of an issue.

Do you understand what true bypass means? When a true bypass pedal is bypassed, the signal goes direct from input to output jack, not through the components in the pedals. It is the capacitance in the cables that is causing the "high end...to suffer" which is what I said.

• Members

Do you understand what true bypass means? When a true bypass pedal is bypassed, the signal goes direct from input to output jack, not through the components in the pedals. It is the capacitance in the cables that is causing the "high end...to suffer" which is what I said.

To be fair I think he meant Jack plugs/Jacks sockets/Switches, not board components. 8 TB pedals means 8 switches, 16 jack sockets and the wire between the sockets and the switches and the patch cords... I'm sure some people would hear a difference with their signal running through that lot. It's not something I'd worry about myself, but I know some people do.

• Members

To be fair I think he meant Jack plugs/Jacks sockets/Switches, not board components. 8 TB pedals means 8 switches, 16 jack sockets and the wire between the sockets and the switches and the patch cords... I'm sure some people would hear a difference with their signal running through that lot. It's not something I'd worry about myself, but I know some people do.

Ah. I can dig that.

• Members

I really like the clean boost on the MXR MC401 for boosting solo's..I wasn't planning on using the Lind Driver for a 'buffer' pedal. The MXR MC401 is a non-TB booster/buffer..will the buffer side of the pedal still take effect when the pedal is off??

• Members

Yep, sorry, I meant the switches/solder/contact points in general. keeping a boss pedal in my chain brightens up the treble - I use my neck HB a lot so I probably miss it more than most, not much treble to begin with.

Not familiar with the MC401 I'm afraid, but unless there's a specific on/off switch for the buffer on the pedal, it'll most likely be on at all times.

• Members

What matters - besides your own experience (if you can't hear a difference, it's not a problem) - is the non-TB pedals are buffered or not. The MXR Blue Box is not buffered, and can cause tone loss if the guitar "sees" it directly. Same for the boost (assuming it's a Micro Amp - the CAE boost is TB). I don't know about the Deltalab chorus either.

You may find that having a buffered pedal somewhere in the chain (preferably in front of the Blue Box) helps you keep the same sound as going straight to amp. But as others have already said - when you get the pedals, try them first. Then, if you don't feel there's a problem, there isn't :thu:

/Andreas

Archived