NVD

mis5dis6gis7

• Members

But there is something fun, and nostalgic about the whole medium, where I use to listen to the whole album, and not just a song here and there.

Nostalgia grows old quickly for me. See how long you last with an Atari 2600. ;)

Listening to the whole album is just a matter of willpower. Remember being too lazy to get out of bed, so you listened to the needle pop around the inner groove for 45 minutes?

{censored} that. 160 Gb iPods, FTW.

• Members

Also, for archival purpsoses I have CDs from the 90's that are unplayable because the plastic is cracking and flaking off, and I've lost all my mp3's when my ipod inexplicably wiped itself clean. So as long as you don't leave it out in the sun vinyl's probably the only medium where you can be sure that 40 years into the future you can still listen to the shins if you still actually want to listen to the shins for some inexplainable reason.

• Members

...I use to listen to the whole album, and not just a song here and there.

I don't "get" this statement, at least from a personal standpoint. What I mean is that I understand what you're saying about vinyl being a medium more conducive to listening to an album straight through (as opposed to an Ipod put on shuffle), but what I don't understand is why people serious about music don't naturally gravitate towards listening to whole albums.

Naturally this could diverge into a discussion about "good" musicians/artists who create an album as a coherent and interconnected whole (what most people would call a concept album, I think) vs. songwriters who try to make an album full of unrelated "singles". But in direct reply to the above quote, I honestly don't get how people can say they love music but fail to really appreciate the musical artistic offering of an album as an undivided piece of work.

I can only imagine what it was like buying Dark Side of the Moon on the day it was released and then putting it on and listening to it all at once. The fluidity between each "track" is such that I'm sure listening to it without the preconceived notions of "10 distinct songs" would have been incredible, and perhaps a first-time listener wouldn't have been likely to say that the whole thing was only one song.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with what you're saying about vinyl being conducive to really taking in what the artist has to offer, but for me personally I tend to listen to whole albums regardless of format. Obviously not all the time, but that's what I prefer. For me I'm thinking specifically of Pink Floyd, Tool (Lateralus is incredible), and even Bon Iver comes to mind (For Emma, Forever Ago). What I really hate is when you're in a car with a girl controlling the music who can't even listen to one freaking song all the way through :mad:

Archived